Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lighting for 16-gallon bow

Bonsai-Tanks

Bonsai-Tanks

The tank measures 20L 13W 18H. I was thinking of going with a 150W PFO mini pendant system with double ended 10K bulb and electric ballast.

I am about to start up a 16ga Bow. Here are my plans:

+Non-drilled Closed Loop System

+50w Ebo Jager

+Coralife Super Skimmer 1

+Auto-Top Off

+15# of Marshall LR

+.75" Sand Bed

+CSL 2x40w (Eventually upgraded to 2x40w PC + 1x70w MH)

I am moving everything from my 15L over. Check for some updates in a few weeks.

-Justin

Bonsai-Tanks

That sounds pretty good. Im thinking that I should go with a 70W mh system insted. Lamp.Dr has a 70W retro kit that looked pretty good. Here is the info:

Ballast- New Style Aromat M15012-27CK-5EUN-J (This is the new version of the 150W HQI BALLAST. Same as the 5EU 70W Ballast.)

Ballast spec sheet.

Junction box. - All connections are made inside junction box. No wires are exposed for

cleaner look.

Switch- on off toggle switch included.

Lamp- Your choice Ushio 150W 10K, 20K HQI D.E. LAMP.

Socket- Ceramic HQ.I. Socket.

Cords- Ballast comes pre- wired with, 6ft Heavy Duty 12Gauge wire socket cord, and 6ft grounded power plug.

Just change the 150W to 70W. Right now he doesn't have any 10L 70W bulbs, and they wont be out till mid June. It runs for $150 bucks, $90 without bulb.

Undertheradar

I have a couple of the 70watters, and I wouldnt use them on anything taller than 12" (10 gallon). FWIW, I will prolly swap out one of the 70s for a 150watt so I can just use a 20,000K and do away with the extra actinic bulbs. For a 16bow...I would stick to your original plan to use a 150 watt...an excellent combo. The 70 would limit you, and finding anything other than 10,000K bulbs is hard (so you would prolly want actinic as well, not very pendant friendly)...not to mention costing as much as 150watt bulbs most of the time.

^^^ what he said. I have a 15 tall with a 150 watter and its great. Think about whether you want a 10K or a 20K lamp, and if you want fluorescent actinic supplimentation.

What is the lamp Dr. website?

Bonsai-Tanks

He is actually a member here on nano-reef.com Try looking him up in the clasified section. I will go with the 150 watter. I like my light nice and white, even on the yellow side!!! I will run with the 10K bulb.

You will find using a 75W ebo heater is better than 50W. Especially in the winter time (when your central heating is off) the 75W will heat faster and will not need to stay on a long time compared to the 50W.

Archived