ReefCleaners.org

175w 10k mh

ninhsavestheday

ninhsavestheday

im thinking about getting a 175watt 10K mh pendant. how does it look over a tank? does anybody have any pictures? maybe just 10k lamps so i can see how it looks like. to your opinion is it to yellow? or not blue enough?

thanks

i think 10000K sucks by itself but the corals like it you would really want some actinic lights with it or just go with a higher wattage mh and use 20000k witch is just awesome i have been able to keep sps and clams under 175 w mh 20000k so its up to you

Undertheradar

A 10,000K will most likely leave you wanting a little actinic as well....BUTTTTTTT: something you left out here is by whom the bulb would be made by...??? FWIW, some 10,000Ks out there are very crisp white/blue, and others may vary from more yellow to more blue. Aqualine Buschke for example, makes a very blue looking 10,000K...in fact it even says 13,000K in small print under the 10,000K on the box.

If you want a stand alone bulb, I would go with something like a 13,000/14,000/15,000/20,000K bulb. Hamilton makes a nice 175watt 14,000K that I used to use over a 20H. Very nice light.

theclearblue

Made by PSL, if you're comfortable buying from them with their reputation, the system itself would be ok. However, you're not going to get particularly good light spread/intensity using a bell pendant as you would with the same watt bulb in a horizontal pendant.

If you can find a good deal, I'd go with a 150w HQI with a 20K bulb, way more light than the 175 and comparable if not a little less heat.

I was afraid of the reduced spread. I need it all and then some with my 30" long tank. I saw a guy on ebay selling the reefstar pendant with SE 14K's and ballast for 199 BIN and actual shipping charges. I am not quite ready to buy but as soon as I am I will post a wanted ad for used here and at RC. If I get little response I will go with the reefstar.

I use the 175w 10k XM with 2x32w Actinic over a 15g and I cannot be happier.. Great light and I love the dusk and dawn with just the actinic.

tank.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
The_Rocket
Originally posted by Undertheradar

Hamilton makes a nice 175watt 14,000K that I used to use over a 20H.  Very nice light.

What kind of ballst did you use for this bulb? Do you think a probe start would fire it?

Archived