Innovative Marine Aquariums

should i feed my tank?

c_hemmerich

c_hemmerich

I have a 5.5 g nano with about 10 corals in it. i have a red brain a candy cane some ricordea nd mushrooms, a few pollups and a few different crabs and snails. i was just wondering if it would be advisable to put in a bit of frozen brine shrimp every once in a while to suppliment my caorals and crustacians. i do use kent marine phytoplex and zooplex but i was wondering if the brines could be a good idea also?

Adult artemia aren't very nutritious unless they're alive and have been gut loaded with a product like kent's pytoplex.

IMHO, i'd stick to the phyto and zooplex, target feeding each animal. IMHO, crabs should be kept in a state of hungry-ness, but if you think they'll starve, drop in a tetra sinking food pellet or two once a week (same ones designed for cory catfish).

The goal is to feed as little as possible to avoid nitrate and phosphate buildup.

Brine shrimp are without nutritional value use mysis instead. The only thing that really needs to be fed is the brain. I have a green open brain and feed him a small portion of PE mysis 2x/week with a 3mm syringe. If you give them (open brains) too much they just spit it out. It couldn't hurt to throw in a little food (flake or mysis) for the crabs and snails (depending on the species) every now and then.

Archived