ReefCleaners.org

high nitrates after cycle

WillyWonka

my nitrogen cycle just finished about 4 days ago and yesterday i did a 20-25% water change to keep nitrate levels down.  i just tested today and the levels came out to be 15-20ppm. i'm wondering if i should do another water change maybe tommorrow because i just added in my first corals: blue mushroom and a xenia.

just wanted to clarify what you mean by "after cycle"... :)

our tanks go's through a never ending cycle to process everything...i mean i dont have to explain how everything breaks down..from nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia....but yeah..you know what i mean.. :)

or maybe im just bored and being an ass

Mine's right in that nitrate range too.  Your mushrooms should deal with it fine, I wouldn't worry about that.  however, it's not a bad idea to do a series of water changes to get nitrate down.  Especially if you used undured rock, quite a bit of material has been processed during teh cycle, and without denitrification, waterchanges are it's only way out of the system.

Yeah I guess it's normal as it's the last product in the chain - the nitrates were a lot higher than that a couple of weeks after setting up my tank -  even using cured live rock. Eventually over the months you should see quite a drop when denitrification takes place (in conjunction with regular partial water changes).

I agree with Paul G.

Carry out small water changes every 5 days etc till you bring down the nitrates.  anything under 10ppm is fine for a new tank.  And as Paul G says, it will go down even further.

Archived