SaltCritters.com

Siphoning sand?

acabgd

I know this is a stupid question, but here we go... :(

I have a 7g nano running for 2 months now and got some cyano. A couple of reefer friends suggested I should siphon the sand when changing water - but I'm unsure on how to do it.

First, I'm using just a plain hose to transfer water and my second trouble is that it seems that I would simply siphon most of the sand out. It's such a small tank and there is not much sand at the bottom - I feel if I start siphoning that I would simply vacuum all the sand out.

Is there a particular technique in doing this?

Agreed, finding the right size hose is the key. Too big and all the sand comes out. Too small and it clogs. I use a pretty soft half inch which allows me to pinch it and control the flow...

You don't have to throw away the sand that you siphoned out. You could treat it with hydrogen peroxide, rinse it, then put it back in your tank if you wish.

I siphon my sand and find that only the smallest particles actually end up in the bucket. The bigger particles circulate in the tank end of the hose and then fall back in when I pull it out. I think it helps siphon off the detritus without losing much sand in the process.

what I used to do was use a turkey baster to suck it up. Usually you can just grab the cyano with it and a bit of sand.

I siphon my sand and find that only the smallest particles actually end up in the bucket. The bigger particles circulate in the tank end of the hose and then fall back in when I pull it out. I think it helps siphon off the detritus without losing much sand in the process.

This.

I'll siphon my sand on occasion and usually only detritus actually comes out. I've lost maybe a total of a cup of sand after weekly water changes and siphonings over the past year and a half.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems I need a smaller hose. I did try turkey baster but the opening is very tiny and gets clogged after a couple of secs. Smaller hose it is then. Thanks again!!

I bought a siphon from my LFS that is made for this purpose; the end that goes in the tank is much wider, and it has a narrower hose. The sand tumbles in the wide part, and only the water and small particles get sucked out. works great!

Hmmm....I push the siphon down into the sand and do a 1/4 of the tank every week. Suck up the sand pinch off let sand out and suck up part of the detritus while the rest gets released into the water while my vortechs are in NTM....to push it all out the overflow. Works for me lol

Changing the height distance between your bucket and your tank will also change the flow rate through your tube and allow you to pick up more, or less sand as you want.

Archived