Cultivated Reef

Converting an Amiracle SL-15..

bgraber

Does this look plausable? What changes would you make other than the obvious in taking out the bioballs and replacing with LS, LR rubble and Macro? Heres a link to the product..

Amiracle SL-15

Tanks!

Ben

digitallinx

i've done this awhile ago and since moved onto a ecosystem 40, but it can be done....

if i remember this is how i did it

the system is left to right...skimmer chamber-bio-ball chamber-then return...

1)well first i left the skimmer in(modified of course)their skimmer sucks...i put a cone shape plastic(used a flashlight inner reflector) and attached to the bottom of the collection cup(see other skimmers, they all have this cone shape) then i broke off the tube/riser within the cup and shorten it about 1/2" and reglued it, then i cut the outer layer of the lid and pushed it closer to the inner tube/riser.(i produced about 1/3 cup of dark skimmate every two days),also get a air regulator,to tweak to bubbles..

2)i used a pieace of plexi to cover the first outlet hole(center chamber), i did this so all of the water will leave the second outlet(last/right chamber), then i also covered the hole where the second pump is located on the bottom(done this so the water or sand won't go out that hole).

3) in order for the water to go out the second outlet you must cut/snap off about 3" of the second inner divider(third/right chamber)

4)add sand to the rim of the place where the eggcrate use to lay(take out eggcrate), then add live rock and macro algae and you have yourself a refugium

5) as far as light (cheap) you can go to lowes or home depot and buy yourself a shoplight(hat type w/clamp)and buy a coralife 10watt 50/50 pc or goto petland discounts and buy a small screw-in hood for about $10 and buy the corlife 20watt 50/50(it's your choice)

I hope i haven't confused you in anyway....you can always sell the unit and buy a refugium from reefer buddah...

Archived