Coral Vue Hydros

to much light possible?

BKtomodachi

BKtomodachi

Is it possible to have to much light in a tank? I know this might sound crazy but I am shortly going to be putting a 400W MH 10,000K with pc actinics on my 5 gallon nano, which currently has just 50/50 pc's on it, still with good growth. You see the thing is I've been wanting a clam for so long, and this would insure me a crocea, so thats really the reason. Do you guys have any suggestions of low-maintenence corals that are great but need high light? And will my zoos not like this? I've heard they like more light the better....

I will be hanging the 16" by 12" pendant about 2' or so over the tank. I went with the 400 becuase its the same price or lower than most 175 or 250s that I could find, so what the heck, I could use it later, and the more light the better, right! So really I'm looking at a whole new group of corals here and would like some easy suggestions. Thanks.

theclearblue

Yes there's a limit... and you've probably crossed it. Normally I hate watts per gallon, but just for effect - that's 80 watts per gallon! And then you're talking about PC Actinic supplementation?

A 250w HQI will put out similar PAR with less heat than a 400 watt. On a 5 gallon, I'd go with a 70 watt halide - 150 maybe.

You'll have the light (probably too much) for a clam - but in that small of a tank you're going to be battling evaporation hardcore, and will need to deal with stability issues with that little water volume.

I'd upgrade the tank to a 20 or 30 and you could still use your 400 watt if you've already bought it.

Hey, but that's just my opinion.

BKtomodachi

Well the wpg rules are usually with close lights, and I will definitely have this light hanging very high above the tank, and I will be sure its not to much. The actinics will be 2 9W actinics.

its not too much light, but it is highly unlikely you will be successful in acclimating new livestock properly, or keeping the heat down.

BKtomodachi

I understand how acclimation could be difficult, but heat issues are taken care of by a fan, lots of evap and a auto-topoff. How do you think I should acclimate things? I could put them under a screen of plastic mesh and remove a layer each day, would that work?

Originally posted by --------------

that woudl need about a month to aclamiate , mabye more..   a layaer a day will go too fast.. mabye a layer a week

14 layers of window screen. Start with the light a few inches higher than your final position. Everyday or 2, you can remove these sheets... Your corals will acclimate, and quicker than most think. Sounds AWESOME!!! When acclimating new corals, throw 3 or 4 pieces back in there, keep them in the bottom of the tank till all thescreeens have been removed, and then place your new corals.

Originally posted by ----------

Yes there's a limit... and you've probably crossed it.  

You'll have the light (probably too much) for a clam - but in that small of a tank you're going to be battling evaporation hardcore, and will need to deal with stability issues with that little water volume.

LOL, I don't think you've crossed the limit :D

Yes, Evap is your biggest issue, but with an auto topoff, you will be fine as far as salinity goes. I am convinced anyone with salinity issues has not realized the NEED for autotopoffs. I will NEVER run another tank w/o one, it is onmy list of must haves when designing a tank

As far as photoperiod, start at 4 - 6 hours. Most halides will provide the zooanthelle enough energy to reach the saturation point after that time. especially a 400W so close. Your photoperiods will also help to combat heat issues. With such a strong light, you won't need 12 hour photoperiods...

As far as a 400 being the same as a 175, or 250 in PAR, , by that reasoning a 70W should be similar to a 150, but you don't see people putting those on large tanks. The light diffusion as far as depth will NOT be an issue with the 400, and I really look forward to seeing it.

I do have a few negatives.....

- REALLY FAST coral growth ( not really negative )

- Strong lighting will scare certain fish and inverts, be sure your animals are not deep water species.....

- The light spread will go way beyond the rim of your tank, so maybe a custom hood with reflectors inside is in order vs. a pendant. Just a few thoughts....

- My guess is that you could get a green water if yuo overfeed, so nutrient control will be CRUCIAL!

- one more negative, I will be really jealous, but that doesn't affect you ;)

HTH

-Ryan-

Archived