for all of you who has no chillers:

devil

all of you who kept corals in temp' higher than 88F or 30C

I have two questions:

1)witch corals did you kept?

2)in what temp'?

thanks

devil

Dried, Bleached Curios........ nothing live, the Oxygen and respiration rate is so high that the coral consumes Glycogen and Simple sugars at a suck a rate that the algaes and tissues kill themselves........... Its Just like PALAU in 1999.... do a search on www.About.com

my tank is right now at 86 and is really holding there everything looks good. but nothing else i can do except pray or drop 600 bucks to chill my living room and sept is just around the corner.Ill let you know what happens

That's hot! At higher temps, O2 concentration drops. 88F is pretty high by anyone's standards. Fans blowing across the surface of the water will help the tank evaporate more, and that will make a big big difference on temperature.

Ty

easy to say for anyone who dont live in the hot troics.

I don't live in the usa or in urope so...

exept the O2 problem (that can be solved) are there any other real problems with high temp'?

devil

Have you tried mounting a fan in your canopy or a clip on fan to your tank? I am running 3-24watt PC and soon to run another 24watt PC and I added one fan to my canopy and by doing this my tank is stable at 78. Before the fan my tank would reach 82-84

I hane noticed my corals being much happier with the lowered temp and my corals could not look happier.

the question is why?

82-84 is the normal range in reefs around the world

I tried a fan but I don't think it's enough

and again:

exept constentiny that keeps corals in that temp'

did anyone kept any coral for any period of time in that temp'?

Devil... you are right,

"the question is why?"

WHY, Would you even consider keeping a coral at 88! You must not be using the fan right, Thats ridiculous! Unless the room you are in is about 95 you should be able to get the temp down to atleast 84!!!!! You should not be keeping fish and corals if you cant provide the right temperature...Aside from probably killing or shortening the life of the corals, Your wasting your money....Try the fan thing again, You did it wrong....

I hear humans can survive at 120....But how much fun would you be havin?

devil

I agree with most of eveyone here why even attempt keeping corals at that high of a temp expecially in a nano tank since the temp can fluxuate so fast. If you added a fan and it didnt work then you did something wrong or the fan you used su%^#%

I am currenty running 72 watts of PC on my nano and my fan rocks I maintain my temp at constant 78-79 and all my corals love it. I would suggest getting your temp undercontrol before you start cooking something

A week or so back we had a heat wave here on London, UK. My tank temp rose to 85F and I ran a fan on the water to cool things down. It worked rather well, but I needed lots of topup water.

My corals were all fine. But IMO 86F is the absolute highest one should allow for (short term that is, like in my situation).

As Mr ESPI ( :woot: ) stated, such high temps are quite damaging to the corals.

Which country to you exactly live by the way?

Since you have a nano tank, a 3inch computer fan should be able to keep things cool. I suggest aiming one directly at the water and setting up an auto-topup system. You'll probably loose a lot of water per day, but it wont be too bad. At least it'll probably bring the temp lower than your proposed setting.

Good luck, let us know how things fare.

Hey guys...

This person wants to know beforehand what works at that temp. Why don't you see if anyone has had any experience in this area before you tell him forget about it?

Obviously he knows this is a problem, which is why he is asking before he boils anything.

And for those of you that are wondering about fans, evaporation is relative to the humidity. The more humid the climate, the lower the rate of evaporation, as is the cooling effect you get from it. If he were in an extremely humid environment, the cooling effect of a fan would be negligible.

OscarBeast

I think everyone here is aware of his question what I find ironic is that he would want to ask what can live in such warm conditions to the point where the line whould be drawn. What if I asked a question like this. Hey everyone if I sit in a large pot and started boiling myself how long do you think I can live?

Now come one if you know the thin line why ask such a question. But this is only my 2cents

OscarBeast ,

We can see what he wants to know...And from all of my experience STUFF DIES! Simple as that, Corals bleach...Fish die...Stuff gets ugly, He asked, We told...I personaly would never recomend to someone that they keep something at 88! Especially when he said it himself

"82-84 is the normal range in reefs around the world"

There you have it! Its not "normal" and really can only lead to problems... If the natural ocean tempature raised up 4 degrees it would melt the ice caps and bleach every coral....What makes your fish tank so different?

first of all the temp' in my room is above 90 with the fan runing above it!

in the tank there is little evapuration per day but about 20% of the tank is dried per week.

I live in israel for all of you that wonders

and oscarbeast understood the problem quite well:

"And for those of you that are wondering about fans, evaporation is relative to the humidity. The more humid the climate, the lower the rate of evaporation, as is the cooling effect you get from it. If he were in an extremely humid environment, the cooling effect of a fan would be negligible."

82-84 is the tempw in half of the reefs around the world but....

in some places the temp' is above 90 or below 70.

I asked for specific species of corals to be sure about it all

I currently have no corals but I do have fish and anemones (2 kinds and I noticed some apiasias 2 days ago)

not only that they feel great but one of them had split into two!

now I see that there aren't much people who tried keeping corals in that temp'.... oh well

devil,

Okay, Maybe you cant keep the temp low being in israel and everything, I am wrong about that.

However, I dont know of people who have kept corals at that tempature...And usually its followed by the words "tank crash" or "major disaster" I just dont want you to lose money, Or kill something If I think I can prevent it...There may be a few specific species that could tollerate (those I dont know of) but nowhere that I know of is the ocean temp that high....Please let me know if you ever are sucsessful at keeping corals at that temp...Goodluck to you if you decide to do it....Depending on your tank size you may be able to buy something called an Ice-probe for $99.00 new, Maybe less used....Its a small tank chiller, IMO would be worth the investment so that you can have a much wider range of corals....

Just wondering, and may sound a bit stupid ... don't get mad ok... :blush:

Ok, I am from Thailand and never really check the temp of the sea water around reef even my house wasn't far from there (look at next surviver, you'll see island where i grow up), however, air temp in the hot day was going up to like 100F or sometimes especially around beach, 110F (I am more used to C, so not sure about convertion, but I think something like 35C or so). and I don't think phe phe island (around phuket) with lots of reef will be much different.

Now, you are say that even the air at the beach or above reef go up that high, water can be around 82F? That isn't sound right to me, of course, I have to wait till I take next vacation to visit Thailand and hope I get chance to visit reef again (we moved away) and check the water temp... but as I said, it wasn't sound that right to me... anyone have any idea?

joh

OH NOW IAM MAD!!!!!! YOU DID IT NOW!!!! X) X) X) X) X)

Just kidding;)

Anyway, To answer your ?question?

The oceans tempature is affected differently by ambient room tempature than say the ocean is affected by outside temparature...The reason being, The ocean is connected to billions and billions of gallons, Most of which are miles deep in the ocean and near FREEZING...The outside tempature is not hot enoupgh to effect the temperature substantially. Basically, The ocean needs a bigger heater.

as I said-that's right only with half the reefs!

the acro's and giant clams live sometimes in exposable areas

they are beind exposed to the sun for hours and they still survive

stress?-no

bleaching-no

and the temp' gets above 100 f or 40 c if you wish.

but a few years ago I visited the red sea-again in israel but I live near the med' sea and the temp' of the air was about 100 or 110 and the water temp' was 86-90 above the shallow reefs.

and now the questions are:

1) how can it be that acro's die from heat in the tank? is it something else and not the temp'?

2)exept sun corals, by some sources softies (not all but the hardiest) by other sources zoanthids and hardy anemones, and of cource contencini's list of species-are there any other specific species of corals that tolerate high temp'?

thank's to you all

devil

Devil, It will take more than your personal account about the water temps to convince me...Not saying your wrong, Also not saying your right...Show me some evidence, I have traveled and dove several tropical locations throughout the past and have never encountered a water temparture that high.

Well Asterix, if you can see what he wants to know, try answering him. From the looks of your first post, you didn't have a clue what he was asking. Either that, or you just felt like flaming him instead of giving it any real thought.

It is a known fact that corals and other creatures can adapt to different temps and water conditions over a period of time in a tank. If you look around here or at reef central, I am sure you can find some cases where people have had corals in their tank for a long time, but everything they add new quickly dies. This is because something in the tank is not quite right but the corals that are already in there have adapted. New corals that aren't used to whatever is "off" in the tank, die quickly.

Animals can adapt, but it must be done slowly. Asking what corals can adapt, like you are, is the first step to trying to figure out IF it can be done. My guess would be to try and find local reefers that actually keep their tanks with similar conditions and try to get whatever you can from them. I would suspect that anything that you add new (from a store that has cooled tanks) that is not used to this would probably die from shock. The things you would get from people with the same tank conditions would do just fine.

I also think you may need to look into life that forms in tidal pool areas. If I am not mistaken, many of these creatures are able to survive elevated temperatures.

I think it is interesting to note that NSW seems to be nothing like synthetic salt, as was outlined by a recent reefkeeping article. What is odd is how our corals survive in this stuff.

Also, I doubt that his tank has polar icecaps, so I don't think this will be a problem. :P

Asterix, of course these temps are associated with "crashes" etc... Usually when you see this, it is because of a sudden change, such as a heater getting stuck on. Most marine life can't stand a sudden swing in any parameter, however most of it can adapt over a long period of time. Many "tank raised" creature of several generations are usually even more adaptable than their ocean relatives.

Is 88 too high for anything much to adapt to? Well that may be the case, but unless he can find someone that has tried, none of us will know for sure.

Oscar

"Is 88 too high for anything much to adapt to? Well that may be the case, but unless he can find someone that has tried, none of us will know for sure"

Indeed, I agree, You really cant argue with me until you prove me wrong, Nor can I argue with you... I am merely giving my best advice that I can, Which is corals are probably not gona like it...This is very safe and conservative advice, and the kind of advice a new reefer should be getting... If he finds some corals that like it, More power to him, and please let me know as I am interested as well. But for the time being, I am going to stick with the majority of opinions....Had this been on RC you both would have been flammed to death, So stop crying about my semi-agressive post nature...Because its in the best interest of his wallet and animals he keeps, I am not giving this advice cause I get payed for it, I am giving it because I care about Devil and his animals...

Devil

---

Okay, You showed me that some lagoons get hot...Go find a living coral in that area and you will be set to go!

LOL

Crap gets shut down on RC all the time for nothing. I have seen far more aggressive threads here. But since we aren't on RC, it doesn't really matter what goes on there.

As I said, if he can find creatures that thrive at these conditions, it doesn't hurt a thing. Nobody is killing animals here. We are talking about the adaptability of specific marine animals. He wants to know this from who has been successful.

Nobody else gets paid either, and it is pretty clear that everyone posting in this thread cares about the animals, or they wouldn't be asking before acting!

OK OSCAR

I belive we both have an understanding of each others views

Nice chatting with you, I always enjoy a good debate!

Till next time

-David-

:)

Archived