inTank Media Baskets

Do I need a Fan- 12G 2x32W?

man1410

Setting up a Nano reef- 12 G with a total of 64 W PC lighting.

Wondering if I should buy one of those lighting kits that come with a prefitted fans? Or get one without fan and install it later if needed.

I live in NJ and it does get hot here in the summer.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

I have 64W, fanless, over my 10gal in SoCal. The lights are about 4" above the water's surface, separated by a piece of acrylic. On the warmer days, my tank has seen 85 deg (normally kept at 81-82). I don't have A/C or anything, so the air temp in the apartment can get pretty warm.

Anyway, I put a $10 clip-on fan from Target on the side of the aquarium, blowing over the water behind the hood. If I run that during the day, the temperature stays right at 81-82 all day. The heater even comes on once in a rare while. THe evaporative cooling is doing the trick just fine for me, and for pretty damn cheap. Just have to make sure I top-off frequently.

BustytheSnowMaam

I have the same lights as both of you- we keep the A/C in the house (we have central air) at 76 degrees. I took the heater out of the tank for the summer. With the lights, the tank stays at 80. I think it may go down a degree at night, but otherwise stays a consistent 79-80. So, if you have A/C, that's about what you can expect. If not, I would get a fan.

I should add that I have acrylic between the lights and the water also.

Tasha

you don't need to spend the extra money to get a built in fan hood..just like the other said..add a $10 fan and blow it direct at the surface of your tank..it should stay from 78-82 degrees all day...

i'm with anthony on this. i'm in kearny right up the road from man1410. i got the csl unit which has it built in AND running a desk fan to cool the tank and lights. it's a matter of cost to you.

the only problem is evaporation. i'm running thru a quart a day of makeup.

Archived