Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What does a decaying finger leather look like?

KidK9

this just screams espi image. :P

smell is one of the ways you can tell. the usual coral stink is just fishy but rotting coral is plain putrid. :x

the leather will likely start to crumble but you'd see the rest of the tank go to hell in handbasket as well.

coloration depends on the species and conditions (i.e. bleaching, temp, origin, etc.).

Well being that it is hunched over, some-what bleached, but still has a tiny bit of color, and I'm a complete NEWBIE....I guess I didn't know. Sorry we're not all as smart as you Kalawai, I thought this was an open forum...even for beginners......

I'm so sorry to have hurt your fellings........come on, I'm only being silly. Gosh, son you sure are a bit touchy....lighten up. I'm surprised coming from a Vet Student-- that you would have to ask if an animal is dying.

this may help... my finger leather often goes through a period where it appears to "melt" turn a weird color and seem to be dying, this is nothing to worry about as "leather" corals often go through a period where they collapse and build up a mucus coat. mine has gone as long as 2 weeks like this then shed the coat and opened up larger than ever. however signs of rotting, ie bits of the coral breaking off or falling off are not good signs.

Ok, Kalawai, maybe I can't read into expressions and things like that. So yeah, nothing has fallen off yet. As far as the vet student thing goes....tell me when in the curriculum they have ever taught about corals.....hmm...never.

Ok, you got me there. I'm not going to keep--*****ing at ya, back and forth about dead or dying corals.

I just would figure if something smells off, shedding its layers --a person would either guess somethings not going to make it.

Pardon me--for giving a rip.

I'm sorry-- if I came off a little ruff.

No harm done.......:)

If, I was you, I would buy a really good book about corals--that highlight the care of them.

There are a few --check out Amazon.com for a list.

Aloha,

Happy Studies--I'm sure you'll be a good Vet....

Archived