Pod Your Reef

white curly stuff on acan?

silverarrow

Earth Eater

Those are Messential Filaments (guts) they may be preparing for coral warfare for space for new growth. The filaments can reach quite far and can dissolve and eat other corals. Nice coral:) I have the same one.

My colony does this when I frag it. Not sure what it is but it only does it after I frag it and goes away within an hour or so.

LittleSallyLightfoot

So glad to see your question, silverarrow, and the replies so far. I've been trying to find the answer to the same question since yesterday. 4 days ago, I added a frag with 3 mushroom corals (which I now think are "acans", thanks to your picture). They were expanding and looking great, but yesterday morning, right after my water change and cleaning, they looked just like yours - like little flowers waving around in the middle, then they started extending long, stringy, mucous-like things, up to 5-6 in. long! :o They were trapping a lot of particles which I had stirred up when I vacuumed the substrate. I hope, as a couple of people have said, that this is a normal behaviour. I'm anxious to add some more mushrooms soon. (14g Biocube, about 3 months old - I'll post some pics later.) Thanks everyone, for the info.

+1 for "normal" as in it happens semi-regularly and generally doesn't result in a dead coral.

That being said, it's generally NOT an indicator of them being happy. I haven't seen any of mine do it in ages (expect a fancy mushroom, after feedings).

Archived