Pod Your Reef

Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhites armatus)?

don.earnest

don.earnest

My 10-gallon nano has just completed its initial cycle and I'm ready to add a fish but still undecided which one.

I've narrowed it down to three; a Black and White Percula Clown, a Spotted Mandarin, or a Flame Hawkfish. I'm only going to have one fish, more of a biological necessity for the corals, which is what I'm really more interested in.

I really like the personality of the Flame Hawkfish, but I haven't seen too many suggestions for this particular fish in a nano. I want a fish that will do well alone in a small aquarium and be nice to look at, but most importantly, be the least destructive and most benifical to the corals.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Don

BKtomodachi

I really dont think a mandarin is an option... and teh flame hawkfishes do look nice, but I cant contribute to their behavior.

don.earnest

Okay, going for the Black and White Clown. I've learned that the Flame Hawkfish likes to eat a lot of things that I'd rather not be on the menu (shrimp, hermits, snails, etc.).

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
halmotors

I've always loved the Flame Hawks...the personality is incredible. The onyl danger they pose in a reef system is if you keep small shrimp in there, which they love to gobble up.

They can get rather large, tho (4" or so), so I'm not sure if your 10 gallon would be of sufficient size for one. If anything it would be the only fish you could have in there.

I've had fellow enthusiasts report that the Hawks seem to perch on just about anything...including corals, so if you have anything that could potentially harm it, I'd ixnay on the lamefay awkhay. Coincidentally, the hawk could also stress out corals with it's constant perching.

Any way you look at it, having a Flame Hawk in your nano is either good or bad...in that small of a tank, tho, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

-Hal

Archived