Cultivated Reef

Please read and share: Palytoxin almost kills local reefer

imcosmokramer

Absolutely not! they are extremely dangerous and could kill you any time, you never know when.

So just to be safe, send what ever you have to me. I'll even pay for the shipping on those good looking ones.

I am immune to palytoxine.

I don't have any and not sure I'm getting any. I have one ricordea and he's mine! :P

I don't have any and not sure I'm getting any. I have one ricordea and he's mine! :P

This is tommy, still in the cleveland clinic hospital, 5 nights , getting better, no blood in lung for first time... They expect to keep me at least a few more days. I will update more on reef central -northern Ohio reef keepers

Peace tommy

What has been written in the article is 100 percent true dispute what some are saying or trashing me. I only posted to help others. Been in hobby over 20 years and I'm 55 years old not a fake kid as some have stated.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I haven't been on this site for a while, seeing as I started with a biocube and now I have a 180 gallon with a 75 gallon sump, but I came across this thread and I have a sad story to share, which happened to me on saturday (2 days ago) regarding this same thing.

Long story short, I was drying some rock to get rid of some palys that were taking over in my tank. I left the bucket with the drying rock and rock rubble in my "fish room". The rock was fully dry as it had been out of water for over a week. The door remains shut at all times, but when i went in the room one time my dog managed to sneak a piece of the rock rubble, and I was completely unaware of the dangers of zoos at this time, and within hours my dog was rushed to the emergency vet hospital, and died within 15 minutes of getting there. I only wish I had read this thread, and knew of this information sooner. It has been a horrible weekend, especially knowing that this could of been prevented, if only I would have known better.

So while the thread brings insight to a person being hospitalized and I in no way want to take away from the severity from that, my dog was killed from a small frag plug containing a couple dried up zoanthids from this a mere 2 days ago. Hopefully these stories will bring light to a VERY serious issue. :(

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( Now that you told the story, I can totally see that happening. I'm sure that people with pets don't always think about that danger. Again, sorry.

There is a zoanthid species in hawaii that used to be used to poison weapons. I read some story about it but i cant remember where. Kind of interesting, and it helps prove the lethality of these toxins. (That is if my half assed memory, of reading something months ago, can be considered fact)

Come to think of it even facts sometimes get debated on here

Archived