SaltCritters.com

Red Sea Pro Salt...clouding issue!

thatoneazn

Hi guys,

I purchased red sea pro salt, i have been having clouding issues hardcore. I have been doing water changes ever 4 days, no luck with removing it. It is mixed 24 hours crystal clear in a bucket. After adding it to my tank clouds it up like woa. Red sea customer support has not been helpful in resolving this issue.

Please post here if you have the same issue. I use to use Reef crystals and had no issues.

Thanks!!!

I use the same salt. I can only mix for ~30 min. After that, it will cloud in the bucket. So, I mix like 15 min and use. I have used the cloudy water but my tank clears in an hour or two.

Since your puttin in clear and then it clouds ... what are your Cal / Alk ( DKH) / Mag levels before ya do a change? My thought is the Cal is precipitating out of the new water... I mix to 1.026. What level is yours and how are you testing that?

I would check that my tank levels are the same as newly mixed water ... see how that goes.

I use rscp also. When I switched from reef crystals I had this problem but now I don't.

Just reread your post and see you switched from reef crystals. Give it a few days in between changes. Your water chemistry is finding a new equilibrium. My cloudyness lasted about two weeks. It will subside just give it time. Crazy stuff like this happens when you switch salts. In the end though you'll be happier with rscp I'm sure. I definitely am

I use rscp also. When I switched from reef crystals I had this problem but now I don't.

Just reread your post and see you switched from reef crystals. Give it a few days in between changes. Your water chemistry is finding a new equilibrium. My cloudyness lasted about two weeks. It will subside just give it time. Crazy stuff like this happens when you switch salts. In the end though you'll be happier with rscp I'm sure. I definitely am

Haha, you are prob right on this, even though my water is cloudy my sps poly extension is amazing

Hope this stuff passes, diggin the salt already

Huh, I have been using it for over a month, and haven't had any clouding issues. Wonder if it's a bad batch, but seems others are having some issues as well. I really like the salt, hope you figure it out.

i wonder if it is due to me switching from reefcrystals, either way, i am waiting 2 weeks for it to settle no water changes. Seems to get better a little everday!

saltwatercoral
i wonder if it is due to me switching from reefcrystals, either way, i am waiting 2 weeks for it to settle no water changes. Seems to get better a little everday!

Its funny you say this because I did my first water change and now I have some slight cloudyness to my water. I am switching over to the Tropic Marin PRO REEF salt. I have seen to many isues\problems, what ever you want to call it with the red sea pro salt. Thats my .02

How long do you mix your water for? I ask this because when I switched over I did four 5 gallon changes over two weeks. Granted I don't change my water often cause I dose. But by the fourth change it was crystal clear. I mix my water for 2 days

Yea I hear ya Lou. I think for me and the op its just the drastic change in chemical composition between rscp and reef crystals. Like I said though I'm no longer having problems. Only reason I mix for two days instead of a few hours is I put a light over the water so the ph stabilizes at 8.26 vs sitting around 7.6 when just mixed for a few hours. Plus rodi starts at 7nuetral

I had those kinds of issues with Reef Crystals but not RCSP.

I have a feeling it could be the RC getting agitated with new water being added causing the cloudyness. I love RCSP, it mixes extremely quickly and since i've been using it my water quality has gone up.

my $0.02

saltwatercoral
How long do you mix your water for? I ask this because when I switched over I did four 5 gallon changes over two weeks. Granted I don't change my water often cause I dose. But by the fourth change it was crystal clear. I mix my water for 2 days

I had my batch of 25 gallons mixing for over 24hrs at a temp of 77 and a SG of 1.025 I also hate that it leaves a white residue over the entire bottom of the bucket and pump and it flakes off like salt but its def not salt though. I dont know what it is that does that. I hear that Tropical Marin pro reef salt is great stuff and no reidue.

If it is clear in the bucket then it might be precipitating in the tank. I'm not sure but I don't think you posted your Ca/Mg/Alk levels. Especially if you dose and your instuments are giving you a false reading.

Archived