Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Watch Me Screw Up a 15g Column!

idontwan2know

idontwan2know

UV sterilizer came in and showed immediate results. In the three hours before the lights shut off, I'd guesstimate about 70% of the cloudiness was gone and the protein skimmer went from a quarter full to overflowing with some seriously nasty gunk.

I'm going to cull some snails as I think I've got a cycle of population booms and die-offs going that is at the root of the bacterial bloom. Between that and leaving the UV sterilizer running for a week or two, I think I should probably get this thing finally fixed.

Pics in the morning.

2012-05-09_14-06-14_151.jpg

2012-05-09_14-14-09_348.jpg

idontwan2know

Isn't it rich? Aren't we a pair?

Me here at last on the ground and you in mid-air

Send in the clowns

2012-05-18_20-34-30_774.jpg

Isn't it bliss? Don't you approve?

One who keeps tearing around and one who can't move

But where are the clowns? Send in the clowns

2012-05-18_20-31-38_718.jpg

Looking good! I like what you did with the scape. any plans for some plating sps down the road? I think they would look awesome

idontwan2know
Looking good! I like what you did with the scape. any plans for some plating sps down the road? I think they would look awesome

I hadn't given much thought to that. Where would you suggest putting them?

Everything to the right of the frogspawn is going to have to be torches of various kinds because the frogspawn sweepers are blown that way by the current and would kill anything else.

Do you think the plating sps would grow well vertically on the sides of the tall rock?

idontwan2know
I like your LEDs, I am currently debating additional lighting options right now. I love that the 15g tall is getting some more attention!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...290620&st=0

If I were you, I would go with some LED strips to supplement the stock T5. It'll be the cleanest and easiest install and not too much more expensive. There's a guy on youtube that has this tank and is getting good growth out of just the stock T5 and some Ecoxotic stunner strips, even though stunner strips are supposed to be just for color.

I remember reading your thread when I was planning my build. Really good idea for the overflow...if I had gone with a sump instead of the AC 110 fuge, I would have used your approach.

idontwan2know

Wow, just had a serious bit of dumb luck.

I'm redoing the baffles on the AC110 fuge so I've had it off the tank, thus leaving about an inch wide strip of tank at the rear open. Just walked in and found one of the clowns on the carpet. Figured he was toast, but he moved when I tried to pick him up so I tossed him back in the tank and after about five minutes of gasping on the sand bed he seems to be swimming normally, no worse for wear!

I had just laid down for a nap downstairs when I decided to go check on the tank...if I had fallen asleep first he would have been a goner for sure.

Isn't it rich? Aren't we a pair?

Me here at last on the ground and you in mid-air

Send in the clowns

Isn't it bliss? Don't you approve?

One who keeps tearing around and one who can't move

But where are the clowns? Send in the clowns

And where are the clowns

Quick send in the clowns, don't bother they're here.

(Glad to hear about your lucky save.)

Archived