Pod Your Reef

My leather look bleached?

KidK9

Today I woke up and my finger leather looks like the top is a bit "bleached". Can anybody give my a reason for this? Or what would cause this? Two days ago it was fine and I even saw it sporulate. I think my levels were all ok with the elements and such, but I put a bit more in this morning. Thanks or your help.

Originally posted by KidK9

Two days ago it was fine and I even saw it sporulate.

can you explain that a little more? did it just sprout its polyps as usual or did it actually expel gametes (i.e. spawning)?

more info on your system, location in the tank, specific species descript (if possible), and history would go a long way in helping us help you. ;)

I have a 7G minibow, leather is 5 inches from water line, underneath 54 W of Power Compacts (50/50) The temperature reaches some heights every now and then, and I saw it was 87 today, which I know is too high, so I turned off the lights. Well, I thought I saw it spawn, but what it was was relasing a cloudy substance from its little polyps. So I guess, I don't know. Does this help some more?

Could have been a little zooxanthillae adjusting going on there. If you can keep the water levels high and the tank temps down, it should adjust itself fine.

It seems to be bleaching out more as the day goes on, even tho I have turned off all lights and taken the top off for more oxygen exchange. Is my leather dieing??

color changes can occur just from 'mood' swings. leave the lights on your normal photoperiod but definitely address the temp issue. probably was the temp that pissed it off.

while the lights are on, prod the leather. see if it 'sporulates' or release a smoky residue. very likely it's only the latter. some corals have a defense system of chemical warfare. they basically fart in the offender's face. :x remember, corals are more like motile & conscious animals than plants altho we tend to think of them as closer to plants (non-responsive).

the coral needs to have a regular schedule and a decent 'breeze' (water flow). try those and a water change and give the coral some time for a reaction, couple of days at least.

Archived