Pod Your Reef

Ballast please help

greentreepython

greentreepython

I recently purchased a blue wave 3 single 250 hqi, along with a reefoptix reflector. I bought everything from premium aquatics, in addition to a 14k hamilton bulb. When I first plugged everything in the bulb did not come on but the ballast was running. Some 40 minutes later the light did come on and it flutuated quite a bit. It then turned off, since I have had the light up and running the light will stay on for roughly 20 minutes before it the bulb goes out. Is this typical, or is the ballast or bulb bad. I have only had the system running for 2 days, and the problem still persists. Should I send the ballast and bulb back or should I just wait it out and give the components time to work. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Undertheradar

the problem may be with the ballast. what kind is it? for HQI, it needs to either be a compatible electronic one, or a 'hqi' labelled 'pulse start' design. The common 'probe start' ballasts wont fire these bulbs. Many older design e-ballasts arent designed to handle HQI either. Your best source of info would be to call up and talk with premium's gurus to see what's going on...

Archived