SaltCritters.com

Good Deals in LA Area

MKramer

For those i nthe LA area, I just thought I'd mention that Jeff's (exoticfish.com) has a really incredible selection of stuff this weekend, with some great sale prices. Normally I don't bother passing this stuff on, but I thought it was exceptional.

I tihnk the SPS collectors here would be especially happy if they checked it out. I don't know much about SPS, but they've got just about every color imaginable. Also, a bunch of 2-3" maximas for $9.99, larger squamosas for not much more, 5-6" bubble tip anemones for $12.99, etc., etc.. And while their regular live rock selection is poor as always, they've got a vat of "rubble" stuff (3-6" pieces) that is just covered in life. I spent 30 minutes digging through there finding all sorts of sponges, mushrooms, and polyps, most on heavily coralined rock.

Anyway, just thouht I'd mention it. For the sale prices you have to join their fish club (info on the website), then look through the e-mail archives on etopica.com to find this weeks sale notice, which you have to print out and bring in with you.

Matthew

(I bear no affiliation with Jeff's Exotic Fish, just an occasional customer)

Oh, and anthony, if you catch this, they have some really nice-looking sun coral specimens in for $14.99. I saw two or three round clusters with absolutely no visible rock or skeleton and while the polyps weren't out, the flesh was quite inflated (ie, not recessed, as happens when they're unhealthy).

Originally posted by MKramer

they've got a vat of "rubble" stuff (3-6" pieces) that is just covered in life.  I spent 30 minutes digging through there finding all sorts of sponges, mushrooms, and polyps, most on heavily coralined rock.

[/b]

Dang I didn't think of that. I was there on Thurs and bought some rubble to attach frags to. Didn't think to look for critters on them. Makes me want to go back and dig some more! I did buy some coral skeletons though, though they'd make interesting refuge rock.They had lots of black sun corals, very interesting looking.

Watch out with those clams he's been having that disease there as well if I heard right on RC. Dunno why he is still selling them now though. ???

The remaining piece of the torch died last week. I thought the one piece was going to make it, but I guess the poison did it's deed. One thing I know for sure is I'll never keep a bubble coral in my tank.

cal3v,

yeah, i heard about the clam pathogen spreading around. my crocea that i just got from jeff's just croaked. now i'm worried about my squamosa in my nano. the holding tank that i had first quarantined it in had some wierd reactions from the squamosas ever since the crocea spent time there. they just finally kicked whatever it was, after two weeks.

on the other hand, nanoreefin53 could've have been right (the pc's could've been insufficient for it) but it crashed way too fast for photo-starvation imo.

anyhoo, i agree jeff's is great! sometimes his supplier's collection techniques stink but other than that jeff's a straight shooter.

imso excite im gonna be heading there on Aug 13 after my trip to Six Flags. I hope they still have a lot of good SPS in stock. Does anyone know when they get their shipments in?

They've had a decent SPS selection for a couple onths now. This weekend's was just particularly outstanding.

I know they get a lot of their fish in on Mondays (they're not open to the public then), but I'm not sure about toher livestock. you might want to call and ask.

Jeff's rock......they go through so much rock there it's hard to say if it's "fully" cured. He has vats set up that the rock goes into, they have great circulations and a huge skimmer. If the rock has just been put in then no, but if it's been there a few days then yes it could be cured.

I'd never put any rock from a dealer right into my tank. I have some plastic containers I put it into and test the ammonia level at 24, 48, and 72 hrs. If it's ok then it goes into the tank. Containers and saltwater are cheap insurance.

Joxer the Mighty

Foogoo:

Have you been to Pasadena Tropical Fish? They're on Colorado Blvd. a couple blocks East of San Gabriel Blvd. Their selection is pretty nice and I've always received good customer service.

There is another LFS up on Lake called Angel's. I've only seen it from the outside (they were closed on that particular day), and it looked rather tiny.

You might want to check out Jan's Tropical Fish on Rosemead Blvd., it's just a little southeast of the Pasadena area. Their selection is not as good as PTF, but they're worth a visit if you're in the area.

one warning about Jeff's SPS corals...they are all WILD caught..so they are easier to die in your tank..if you want SPS..the best way is to buy it from an exisiting colony from a fellow reefer..cuz these sps are already adapt to the home aquariums..but again, some Wild caughts do really well in home aquariums, but just an advise...

Matt- Thanks man for watching out for the corals, i think i am going to pass on with the sun corals, i am totally turning my tank in to a sps tank,, i am selling most of my softies away for pretty cheap. I jsut sold my BTA, a clone that i got from another reefer near me for $18 (Neon green/Yellow) and a couple of zoo colonies. I want to sell my frogspawn if any one is interested..$20! its got 4 very healthy heads, Brown/Pink color, 6"+ when fully expended...and of course my bubble coral..he is now 8"+ when he is fully expended, he grows and eats like mad and he is HUGE. its Peral withe blue/white stripes...he is also for sale $20! let me know guys

Archived