Pod Your Reef

Greg's Solana - Take Two!

LebaneseDlight

LebaneseDlight

This Solana has gone through now a 3rd reincarnation. It started as a H. Reidi tank, and after a year losing my 6 adult ponies during a chiller malfunction during a vacation. Then it transitioned into a mixed reef that I eventually lost interest in due to frustration of not being able to grow SPS.... Then empty!

I just couldn't part with it. I decided to try it again, just this time intending on utilizing technology to get better results through automation. So far:

- 34 gallon Solana with Mahogany Stand

- 250w MH Sunpod 20" (it's for sale BTW, make me an offer! hopefully getting my Giesemann Teszla this week)

- Tunze 9002 skimmer

- MP10 es

- Quiet One 1200 return pump

- 24 lbs cycled live rock (50% aqua cultured, it's the purple rock on the left and 50% Fiji)

- 30 lbs CaribSea Fiji Pink "live" sand

On order:

- Giesemann Teszla

- JBJ ATO

- TB Aquatics Phosphate media reactor

Livestock:

- Mystery Wrasse

- YWG with Pistol scrimp :)

Plans:

- Utilize large sand bed for Acan's and/or Ricordia

- One or two Maximas

- SPS dominated on top

- dendros/sun corals in center bottom cave

- Red/Blue Mandarin

- Pair of clowns: Black Occi & BlackIce/Snowcasso/etc mixed pair

My aquascape consists of two large pieces of live rock. One issue I had previously is my scape not being secure enough, falling over etc. Although this two rock scape limits my options, my goal is to have SPS growing/radiating off of it, covering it and it's super secure. Another mistake I made last time was getting too much LR. Following the recommended 1-1.5 lbs/gallon, I ended up with 40-50 pounds and this left too little area for water flow and didn't take into account that frags and corals come with some kind of plug or rock. By the way, I love the aqua cultured rock and don't mind that it's dyed purple. It's very porous and cavernous in nature. My Fiji rock is starting to blend in with the coralline that is quickly growing on the top region. I wish it was all aqua cultured rock because it's truly high quality - but it's a bit pricier that the "real" thing, something to keep in mind (paid $10/lbs but got it locally- it's a bit cheaper online but would create a larger cycle).

What do you think of the scape and plans? BTW, iPhone pics, the LR is not this dark in realtime.

photo-1copy2.jpg

photo-1copy.jpg

photo-1.jpg

LebaneseDlight
I like. Nice start.

(I hear the Borat as you type...) Thank you!

Scape is awesome nice and simple but has caves and holes the closer you look at it.

Thanks, Vash. I tried to keep it simple - it's easier to move and set the scape back up if need be, and I'm really happy with the aqua cultured rock for the reasons you mentioned - it's full of caves and holes.

Now to try and resist stocking too quickly... that's the hard part ;)

Nice tank those clowns are awesome!

May I suggest passing on the sun coral/dendros....if you plan on having SPS you'll eventually lose them again due to decreased water quality feeding them. Just a thought....I don't see too many people successful with both.

LebaneseDlight
How much was that Teszla?

$449 shipped from Premium Aquatics, and another $50 for the tank mount.

Nice tank those clowns are awesome!

May I suggest passing on the sun coral/dendros....if you plan on having SPS you'll eventually lose them again due to decreased water quality feeding them. Just a thought....I don't see too many people successful with both.

Thank you! I acted quick on those clowns, but thinking about it overnight - I'm glad with the rash decision! I think this is a fair suggestion, and the kind of thinking and planning I should get myself into if I want SPS success this time around. I will probably pass on the NPS, even though that cave is perfect for them!

Do you think this stocking plan is too much or doable?

- Pair of Percs

- YWG

- Mystery Wrasse

- (tank bred) Mandarin

• 2 weeks later...
LebaneseDlight

Another 2 weeks for the Teszla :angry:

On another note, got my JBJ ATO, TB Aquatics GFO reactor, and new diver's den buddies, including a super awesome Red Mandarin male, who is voraciously eating PE mysis. I know I went a bit fast with the stocking, but params are very stable (last of livestock went in last week): ammonia/trites/trates at 0; PH 8.4; and phosphates are .25 (haven't started GFO reactor yet - is this number high?).

Got my Coral Morphalogic 13 pack of Rics and they are acclimating. Shot a quick video today - I'm lucky all my critters come out and play when I'm home from work every day! So livestock is at full capacity now (mystery wrasse, onyx percs, ywg and mandarin) - will add some rics/acans slowly for a few months then start a controller to keep more stable params for SPS.

BTW - still selling the 20" 250 MH Orbit, but waiting until my Teszla comes in.

Link to video: http://youtu.be/npc3HxwVsBg

Archived