inTank Media Baskets

Re: Prizm Skimmer

reefitis

hey peoples, i just wanted to find out if anyone knows where i could get a red sea prizm protein skimmer HOB. cheapest i've seen online is $89.99.

spoondigity

I picked one up from petsolutions for $82 total cost (including shipping). They were absolutely great to buy from. They keep you very well informed about your order and it was at my place in 3 days. I would recommend them any day. Also, you can try ebay and other places to save a dollar or two, but I don't like risking problems over a couple of dollars.

I just received my Prizm and I have a couple of questions. I installed, primed it and got it running. It's noisy as hell, I read something about they changed the number of blades on the impeller to fix this. The one I have is a 18 blade, is that not the latest? I thought the 12 blade was the noisy one. It's pulling a lot of water into the collection tray and if I adjust the flow down to stop the water I don't get any foam at all. It's also pumping lots of micro-bubbles into the tank.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, no suggestions, but it sounds about right for a prism. I wouldn't expect to see too much foam during break in...maybe a week or so. Good luck.

i've got used to the noise mine makes. it kind of blends in with the other sounds in my living room. you have to give it time to start making foam. mine will start making foam, then stop for a day or two, then start again making foam again. it keeps my water clean and that's all that matters:)

spoondigity

Red Sea recommended to me to run it for 48 hours with the water flow closed off completely. It definitely needs a break in period. Mine is producing a ton of foam now and the bubbles go away after it settles in (at least mine have). I noticed they will only come back for a short while if I shut the skimmer down and start it back up, but after a little bit they will go away again. I have been getting some seriously nasty yellow/green gunk in my cup so it is definitely doing a heck of a job.

Archived