Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Why are skimmers to freakin' expensive?!

Mr. Microscope

I agree with the OP and will go a step further. Supplies and equipment for the aquarium hobby in general are ridiculously over priced, and many are pieces of ***t. One exception I found was the InTank media basket. I've been keeping aquariums for well over 30 years and have found very, very few pieces of equipment where the quality matched the price. I've been into photography for just as long and it is completely different. When I pay a lot of money for a lens, I can see quality in both the product and the pictures it helps me produce. This is not true in the fish/reef hobby. Many times I've paid a high price for something that didn't come close to meeting its claims, or it fell apart in a matter of weeks.

Just look at aquariums for instance. A simple glass box that's glued together. Add a few holes and the price skyrocket! There is no good reason why a "reef ready" tank should be so much more than a regular tank that is over-priced to begin with.

These are MY oberservations and opinions only. I'm sure others will have different opinions.

Archived