Top Shelf Aquatics

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

So I think I'm fish-less. I haven't seen the green clown goby all weekend even after a water change. I checked all the rear chambers and in back of the rock but didn't find a body. I guess he was small enough that the CUC made quick work. My tank is officially pathetic now.

Not pathetic! Just run fish less for the 6-8 weeks then start with your fishes again. I would get a QT tank for any future additions just from the luck you've had.

I should knock on wood! I have never had a sick fish from a LFS here, if I see a tank with Ick I stay away from the fish totally. Even the best stores have sick fish.

Sorry for the losses. -_-

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what would have happened to him. He seemed fine the last time I saw him which I think was Wednesday or Thursday. I noticed he wasn't out Friday but didn't start searching until the weekend. I ordered a bigger pump for the 40B so hopefully I can get it cycled while this tank goes fishless. After that I'll move everything over and then move the BC14 to the basement or something where it can be QT tank. At least I know I have 2 months to finish my planning now since nothing is going to happen until there's been enough time for any parasites or diseases to die off.

Not sure if this helps but going fishless for 2 months means you should get some awesome inverts to watch. I bet all kinds of worms and critters will come out to play without any fish in it. Could be interesting to watch.

kugelblitz
Thanks Paigee! The tank is doing well. Everything else is fine. The porcelain crab molted and scared the heck outta me. I wasn't expecting it I guess. I'll try to get new pics this weekend since my mom is taking the kids! :happy:

Killer tank! Just getting ready to get my 14 wet. All modded out nanotuners 3.6 led cree upgrade blue and white. Been following your thread and have learned alot! You got me interested in macros now. Anyway I will post a thread when 14s wet good luck with your tank! Cant wait for the 40!

Not sure if this helps but going fishless for 2 months means you should get some awesome inverts to watch. I bet all kinds of worms and critters will come out to play without any fish in it. Could be interesting to watch.

+1! Means you can get shrimps, etc all those guys are super cool!

Thanks all. I do have cool inverts with a cleaner shrimp, pom pom crab (who's been MIA but that's not unusual), and a porcelain crab. Not to mention several hermits and snails. I found my first snail babies this weekend so maybe without fish eating them I'll have tons of snail babies to watch. I'm kind of hoping my corals will take off during this period too. I noticed my rics are growing more mouths again already! :happy: I just miss the movement the fish give to the tank.

blitz - Start your tank thread if you haven't already!

Thanks all. I do have cool inverts with a cleaner shrimp, pom pom crab (who's been MIA but that's not unusual), and a porcelain crab. Not to mention several hermits and snails. I found my first snail babies this weekend so maybe without fish eating them I'll have tons of snail babies to watch. I'm kind of hoping my corals will take off during this period too. I noticed my rics are growing more mouths again already! :happy:

That's the attitude to have :happy:

A lot of things will take off without the fish in there to eat them!!!!!! Pods especially :)

Things will be back on track before too long!

I ordered a Danner Mag Drive so when it arrives I'll get the tank running with just water and dry rock until I make sure everything works right. Then I'll add the couple pieces of LR I have in a tub downstairs curing. After that I'll order some more LR and get it cycling. I'm not in a rush. I'm even thinking about getting a different stand or taking the time to change up the buffet it's on.

I have a job interview Thursday and my father-in-law is back in the hospital so I'm more focused on getting the rest of my life in order first. Plus the deadline for adding livestock for the pico contest is July 1 so I need to make sure I have everything I want in there before I focus my tank funds on the 40.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the fish :(. As others have mentioned you could go fish-less or.....

.....You could get a Mantis Shrimp!!!

Either way, I'm sure whatever you do it will turn out to be awesome!

On a separate note, sorry to hear about your father-in-law being back in the hospital. Hope everything is ok.

:flower:

I thought you could use one of these.

Hope things get back in order for you soon!!!!! And a prayer said for your FIL. And fingers crossed for your job interview :happy:

Thanks c and gena! My father-in-law is home and they didn't find anything wrong. And my interview went well. I haven't gotten a response from them yet but I'm trying to be patient.

The tank is doing good, just coasting along. Still no sign of the goby so I'm 99.9% sure I'm fish-less. Haven't seen the pom pom crab for at least 10 days either. Thankfully my cleaner shrimp and porcelain crab are always out and about. No kids at home tonight so I'll be feeding the nems and doing my water change. I'm thinking about ordering some more corals for the mid-level of the tank but I'm not sure what to get. Any ideas?

I'm thinking about ordering some more corals for the mid-level of the tank but I'm not sure what to get. Any ideas?

How about a nice chalice or some other LPS! Favia? Maze brain? Acan?

On a side note, I'm glad your father-in-law is out of the hospital and doing well; and I hope you get that job!

Thank goodness your FIL is ok!!!!!!! And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that job!!!!!!

Did you ever replace your cloves? The ones that died from PYA? A colony of those would look great in that middle section. Or just buy a polyp or two and they will become a colony in no time!!!!

I have one clove that survived from PYA so I'm hoping it will spread. I have some of Ethan's cloves popping up again too. I need to glue the shells down in the middle area so the hermits will quit knocking them off.

In other news, my media basket is a baby snail haven! I did a water change tonight and went to check my media and chaeto and found at least 50-60 baby snails! They must have gotten caught in the floss then hatched back there. The floss didn't look too bad since I have no fish now so I decided to leave it for a couple more days and see how many snails I end up with. :) Oh, and I saw my pom pom crab last night so I'm super duper happy she's still kickin'!

I bought them off people on these forums. Watch the for sale/trade forum and if you see someone with something you like in their thread don't be afraid to ask if they have some they'd be willing to sell/trade. That's how I've gotten all my favorite things! ;)

I have one clove that survived from PYA so I'm hoping it will spread. I have some of Ethan's cloves popping up again too. I need to glue the shells down in the middle area so the hermits will quit knocking them off.

In other news, my media basket is a baby snail haven! I did a water change tonight and went to check my media and chaeto and found at least 50-60 baby snails! They must have gotten caught in the floss then hatched back there. The floss didn't look too bad since I have no fish now so I decided to leave it for a couple more days and see how many snails I end up with. :) Oh, and I saw my pom pom crab last night so I'm super duper happy she's still kickin'!

Snails - First you have 2, then you have 20, then you have 200 :P...Well, hopefully not that many.....That is of course unless you put a Mantis in there, then no more snails..or at least not an oversize population :P

Glad to hear the pom pom is still alive and kicking. They are very interesting. I've considered getting one for the 55g, but I think I have enough crabs right now (no jokes from any of you on that one :angry: )...

That one clove will reproduce for you. I got my cloves from PYA. They've grown quite a bit in my NC12. I'm bummed that I probably won't be able to move them to the new tank cuz they are covered in algae growth at the base. The tips are clean so I may experiment with cutting higher up just to see if I can selvedge a piece...that's all I need :)

Glad you sighted the pom pom. My two will disappear for a couple of weeks and then pop up again. They are strange critters!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Archived