Pod Your Reef

Full Spectrum LED tank pictures

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

jedimasterben
Oh ok. I thought low power moon lights can be kept on all the time.

I would not. A ton of corals use blue light to tune their circadian rhythm.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (grinder143 @ Nov 6 2012, 12:19 AM)

Quick question , I had a credit at ledgroupbuy so I got a couple of the 40 watt inventronic drivers. I would like to go with the rebel es led . My question is since these drivers only put out 700 ma how much difference is there than @ 1000ma . I have heard not enough to worry about but really want. Good reliable info. As a recap it will be over a 40 breeder.

( 3 ) makers 6" heatsink

24 RB rebel es

12 NW rebel es 5000k

6 OCW@500ma

4 TV 430nm@500ma

4 TV 417nm@500ma

8:4:2:? Maybe add another TV to be 3 per heatsink

5 inventronic 40 watt drivers 700ma

What thinks you

The difference amounts to about 20% more intensity between 700ma and 1000ma, and 25% more heat.

And that's actually the amount of LEDs I have over my tank, but mine is much larger. I'd recommend you take it down to 8x NW, 16x RB.

Are the OCW going to be from LEDgroupBuy or will they be Luxeons? If Luxeons, run them at 700ma and only use 4x of them. And 8x violet is about as much as I'd put on it, and a good 50/50 mix of those is great.

+1

i ordered the OCW from LED Group Buy. i also went with 6 because i could not run the at 700ma . It nay turn out to be a mistake but i ordered the with 90 degree optics. A quick question on the TV though as you can see i am going to mix the 430 nm and 417 nm led from steves. THe ones from Ledgroupbuy say rated at700 ma but should be ran at 500nm . I have a friend that purchased a lot of 700ma 40watt drivers, they are not dim able however. I can get them really inexpensive say 12 a piece. My issue is

1 will the TV from ledgroupbuy take the 700ma

2 do the TV really have to be on a dimmable driver. To say be able to mix the colors for the desired spectrum. It is not about the money but would like to help him get rid of a few of these drivers. I also understand the number of RB and NW . I was trying to keep the ratio correct of 2:1 but wanted to spread them over 3 6" makers heatsink .

So I know alot of people have the new 430nm. Any major differences?

Mine got here at 9pm last night, and just to make things even better, I'm sick. Like lying in bed bemoaning my fate sick. Might be a few days before I can get them into a fixture.

=) I'm workin' on it, though, I promise.

I don't suppose anyone during Therese travels on the Internet have come across a vender selling thermal paste in bulk or larger quantity tubes. I need some for a work project , I would need about 1500 tubes the way these are sold. That would get really expensive . I know that steves has some sort of theremal adhesive that I could order in bulk for cheap but really need it to be removable and not so much adhesive. I just need some thermal conducting paste. This may not be the place to ask ,but figured I would give it a shot.

jedimasterben
I don't suppose anyone during Therese travels on the Internet have come across a vender selling thermal paste in bulk or larger quantity tubes. I need some for a work project , I would need about 1500 tubes the way these are sold. That would get really expensive . I know that steves has some sort of theremal adhesive that I could order in bulk for cheap but really need it to be removable and not so much adhesive. I just need some thermal conducting paste. This may not be the place to ask ,but figured I would give it a shot.

1500 tubes? How many LEDs are you going to mount? A tube will seat an incredible amount of chips.

Not for LEDs. I work in the catv industry. We are upgrading a bunch of amps in our plant. The manufacture recommends thermal paste to allow for better heat dissipation . I was just looking for a more convenient way to apply it . I can get it in quarts and brush it on , it is however really messy. I do need it to be able to be removed as in all electronics they do go bad. So I guess it would be more like thermal grease and not adhesives . Thanks

jedimasterben
Not for LEDs. I work in the catv industry. We are upgrading a bunch of amps in our plant. The manufacture recommends thermal paste to allow for better heat dissipation . I was just looking for a more convenient way to apply it . I can get it in quarts and brush it on , it is however really messy. I do need it to be able to be removed as in all electronics they do go bad. So I guess it would be more like thermal grease and not adhesives . Thanks

I would get it in the quarts like you can get, but buy a big syringe and use that to apply it. Seems like it's the best of both worlds, quantity and application.

Alright, so after talking this over with uglybuckling I figured I would post it up and maybe get a few more opinions on it before I start ordering stuff. Going to be running the 8-4-4-2 setup over a 40 breeder.

From LEDGroupBuy

8x CREE XT-E 3up 2x RB / 1x NW

8x TV

4x OCW

5.886"x24" Heatsink

4x Mean Well ELN-60-48D Run on a DIM4.

jedimasterben
Alright, so after talking this over with uglybuckling I figured I would post it up and maybe get a few more opinions on it before I start ordering stuff. Going to be running the 8-4-4-2 setup over a 40 breeder.

From LEDGroupBuy

8x CREE XT-E 3up 2x RB / 1x NW

8x TV

4x OCW

5.886"x24" Heatsink

4x Mean Well ELN-60-48D Run on a DIM4.

Looks good to me. And for the violet, do half and half true violet to hyper.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Shoot me an email (info at ledgroupbuy.com)

We carry the 25g syringes (these are big syringes, usually people sell 1.75g versions) and also do some large buckets of the stuff if you don't need syringes.

This would be of the ceramic grease we have which has no electric conducitivty.

Looks good to me. And for the violet, do half and half true violet to hyper.

Ok so half 405nm and half 430nm. Which optics should I use? The 405 with the 60° only comes in a 6pk. Also which optics do I need if any for the rest of the LEDs?

jedimasterben
Ok so half 405nm and half 430nm. Which optics should I use? The 405 with the 60° only comes in a 6pk. Also which optics do I need if any for the rest of the LEDs?

You don't save any money by purchasing a six pack of them. 60 degree is pretty damn tight, I'd only use 60 if you're hanging it at least 12" above the water.

Hey. Just wanted to be sure. Are the 405 nm Violets the same as they have pretty much always been when they were labeled 390-430 Violets or did you get a new manufacturer? The 405 graph has really tight peaks.

jedimasterben
Hey. Just wanted to be sure. Are the 405 nm Violets the same as they have pretty much always been when they were labeled 390-430 Violets or did you get a new manufacturer? The 405 graph has really tight peaks.

The 405 are the same as they have been AFAIK.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

I think we may run a test just using RB, OCW, TV for long periods of time.

This is the most brilliant color ive seen and the things it does to the corals/fish colors is just amazing.

No whites at all? I'm thinking that might look a bit unnatural. Amazingly colorful...but unnatural.

Like radioactive clown vomit.

jedimasterben
I think we may run a test just using RB, OCW, TV for long periods of time.

This is the most brilliant color ive seen and the things it does to the corals/fish colors is just amazing.

If you're going to do that, then violet needs to be the primary power source. In nature, the average amount of radiometric power is 45W/m2 of 400-440nm, and 40W/m2 of 440-480nm, and as for deep red, I'd venture to guess that corals can use about 25-30W/m2. A square meter is 1,550 in2, so just multiply length times width and you should get the area of your tank, then find what percentage it is of the given numbers above. Then use the approximate output (in mW) of the LEDs at the working current to figure out how many you need.

Like my tank, 48"x24" = 1152 in2, so is 75% of a square meter. I should, to optimally match the power level on a typical reef, have 33.75W/m2 of 400-440, 30W/m2 of 440-480nm, and 22.5W/m2 of red. That amounts to using roughly 50 violets, 19 royals, and 34 deep red. I don't have anywhere near that :lol:

With what I know now, my next fixture will be different (with much more red and cool blue to offset the purple that deep red and royal blue makes), but until that time comes, what I have is pretty damn awesome. B)

MY 430NM SHOULD BE HERE TODAY!

Finally put my order in. I SO EXCITE! Now to order drivers, and my heatsink...I'm going to try and not add up the prices so I don't depress myself. haha

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
No whites at all? I'm thinking that might look a bit unnatural. Amazingly colorful...but unnatural.

Like radioactive clown vomit.

I think part of the reason I like it personally so much is that the sand particles in the water dont show. I have very fine sand and it gets annoying when one of the clowns splashes it around and it floats around in the water column.

right now the setup is running like this:

TVs on

hour later OCW

hour later RB

hour later NW

then the reverse for sunset

So basically they are getting alot of light and im enjoying the tank.

I will be ordering my parts soon for my 40 breader. I will be using two heatsinks but cant make my mind up which layout is best. I am leaning towards the 6x12 or second 6x6 layout. Input would be appreciated.

6x6 heatsink x2

6x12 heatsink x2

6x9 heatsink x2

6x6 heatsink x2

Archived