Top Shelf Aquatics

Weeds...

solefald

My tank has been cycling for 13 days right now, and couple of days ago I got this feather-looking green algae on this one rock that had brown algae on it for about a week. Searched around, but can't find anything similar. What is this?

click on images for higher resolution.

Owf8Il.jpg

RsLo4l.jpg

Not could be Bryopsis that is Bryopsis. That stuff sucks been there done that.

You have to raise your magnesium up to 1500 for 4 weeks to get it to die off. I had no luck finding anything to eat it.

Gonna need to get a bottle of Kent tech M and a magnesium test kit.

Hm... yeah, this stuff is everywhere. Now it started attaching itself to the glass too. I guess i will get Kent Tech M and the test kit tomorrow. And I was just at the LFS today getting water. Should've asked earlier!

I got it once from another reefer. I bought a used power head and it had Bryopsis on it. I thought it was just green hair algae. It took over pretty quick. I actually raised my mag up to 1900 for 4 weeks with no problems. I had fish and corals and lost nothing. Once 4 weeks came I did 10 gallon waterchanges and let the mag slowly drop back to where it was. Once you get it to 1500 or higher you will start to see it turn white and die off in a week.

If I can help in anyway or you have questions send me a PM. I would be happy to help been in your shoes before.

My tank has just finished it's cycling the other day and it had a lot of that crap by the end. My turbo's obliterated it though, no more issue. Might be worth a shot. I know my other snails didn't touch it..

When I started my tank I had every single kind of macro you could imagine. Just get a few snails, and hermit crabs and it will be gone in now time. Manually removal also works well.

Does the Kent Tech M work on green hair algae also? I seem to be getting tufts popping up here and there. The snails and hermits don't have any interest in the stuff.

peroxide works! i had bryopsis and hair algae and peroxide killed all of it. even had the red turf algae and its gone too.

there is a link in the pest treatment called "peroxide saves my tank with pics to prove it"

peroxide works! i had bryopsis and hair algae and peroxide killed all of it. even had the red turf algae and its gone too.

there is a link in the pest treatment called "peroxide saves my tank with pics to prove it"

this sounds like major pain in the ass! haha. ill probably try some conventional methods before i start pulling rock out of the tank...

i haven't done a single water change yet (panning on doing it tomorrow), and my nitrates are at crazy levels at the moment, so i'll wait and see what wonders would water change bring, before i get all crazy and start shooting from the hip.

it was actually pretty easy.

not many things will eat byopsis.

u dont have to pull rocks, just drain the water down past the rocks, add peroxide, then wait a few mins then fill the tank back up with the same water or do a water change.

you dont have any fish or coral do you?

this sounds like major pain in the ass! haha. ill probably try some conventional methods before i start pulling rock out of the tank...

i haven't done a single water change yet (panning on doing it tomorrow), and my nitrates are at crazy levels at the moment, so i'll wait and see what wonders would water change bring, before i get all crazy and start shooting from the hip.

It would be a good idea to start doing this with the larger patches. If you let this get out of control youll want to shut your tank down. +1 on H202

it was actually pretty easy.

not many things will eat byopsis.

u dont have to pull rocks, just drain the water down past the rocks, add peroxide, then wait a few mins then fill the tank back up with the same water or do a water change.

nope. no fish, no coral. nothing. but 5-6 Asternia Stars (?) (pics in my build thread) that appeared from nowhere...

but i just spent a good part of an hour reading up on byopsis. none of it looks anything like the algae i have...lots of it is feather like, but not like this one...

I do have fish and coral, so I'm thinking this is not an option for my tank. As for the OP here, I say give this remedy a shot. Sounds like it's a no brainer!

Builder Anthony

sigh.........its in the sandbed.not a good way to start the hobby.i would just start all over .......replace everything and buy high

quality live rock.maybe that mag dose helps but theres so much it could come back

Why take a tank down or spray peroxide when you can just raise your magnesium and let it be for 4 weeks? I have never personally had any snail eat bryopsis. Snails can't get the base of the bryopsis in rock. If I was you Sole I would do the Kent tech M treatment really easy to do. But sounds like you have a few options. Best of luck to you.

Archived