Innovative Marine Aquariums

Temperature in NC 12g (stock lighting)

NotGumbelWV

With the lights on for 8 hrs, my 12g NC (stock) reaches 82.5 degrees. This morning, with the lights having been off nearly 10 hrs, the temp is 80.8. Although there's just a 2 degree swing, overall this seems too warm ... I'd always operated tanks at 78-79.

I did check basics such as properly calibrated heater (runs at 79, with lights off and tank lid open), and whether the thermometer was accurate (different one produced same number). Ambient room temp is 74, and outside temps are currently around freezing. The stock return pump was replaced with a MJ 900.

Future stocking plans aren't very adventurous (softies, inverts, maybe a fish or two in several months).

Is this something I should be concerned about? I don't want to cook or bleach livestock. Low/no cost is ideal, but I'd rather spend money wisely when it comes down to it. And I'm okay having an invert-only tank for a while if the heat issue precludes healthy coral.

BTW totally not a DIY person, other than swapping out bulbs etc LOL

Thanks for the advice.

I have a 14 gal. Oceanic biocube. I bought a heater for it since I tend to keep my thermostat at home set at 67 but found I didn't even need it. I've actually started turning the thermostat down to 64 before I leave for work and then turn it back up to 67 after the lights go out at night. The temp. in my tank ranges from 78-80 after the lights have been on all day to about 76 after they have been off all night. I'm thinking that I might need to get a chiller for this summer since I tend to set my A/C at about 72 degrees. Sounds like you might need one, too.

Thanks for the info, czdiver.

I'm going to try setting the heater similarly to yours, and leave the lid open today to lower tank temp. My next step will be seeing whether the lights raise the temp to 82, or to +2 degrees over the tank temp when the lights are turned on.

Wondering if there are any PC bulbs that produce less heat for the NC?

Ok, here's what I did yesterday ...

Unplugged heater to remove it as a factor

Opened the lid, lowering temp to 76.1

Closed lid, turned on lights at 4 pm

Temp was 79.9 at 10 pm, turned off lights (short lighting period)

This morning, temp was 79.3 at 6 am

Today I'll see what the temps are when I turn lights on at 4 and off at midnight.

Monday:

Temp was 79.3 at 6 am

Turned lights on at 3 pm

After 8 hrs of lights, temp was 82.9

This morning, temp was 82.1 at 7 am

wow...your temps are all over the place. Are your fans in the hood working correctly? I'd say if the lights when on, keep the tank at 79.9 without the heater, set the heater at 79...and between the heater and the lights your tank should stay pretty close between 78-80 degrees......that 2 degree swing isn't a big deal.

Dan

Fans are on. Heater is actually completely off at this point (unplugged).

One thing I was trying to discover is whether the lights heat the tank to 82, or whether they raise the current temp by 2 degrees. If it's the former, no problem, although I've always heard 78-79 is where the temp must stay.

Today I'll see what the tank temp is after lights have been on.

Tuesday:

Temp was 82.1 at 7 am

Turned lights on at 3 pm

After 8 hrs of lights, temp was 83.8

This morning:

Temp was 82.0 at 6:30 am

Thursday (after pointing the output a little more towards the surface):

Temp was 81.0 at 7 am

Turned lights on at 2 pm

After 9 hrs of lights, temp was 82.9

This morning:

Temp was 81.0 at 7 am

Seems to be a positive trend, and this tank belonging to gena thrives at 82.

Archived