inTank Media Baskets

Sony NEX-C3

Atela

I have been needing a new digital camera for my work, and decided to try out the Sony NEX-C3. My main goal was to find a camera that would do serious macro photography without having to go into a high-end model. This camera is by no means inexpensive. After playing with it briefly, I found that it is either not good for macro work, or possibly is not user friendly enough for me to achieve my goal!

Does anyone in this forum have this particular model, and would not mind sharing your secrets of using the macro mode? Thank you.

this is a point and shoot camera. It is bad a-- but still a point and shoot. there is nothing macro about it. The word "macro" on any zoom lens means the point of max magnification. IF you want true macro photos then you really gotta have a Good DSLR with macro lens.

a Good DSLR with macro lens.

This is one of those crossover cams. I'm thinking that macro shooting will require an additional macro lens that can be purchased for this camera. Thanks for your input Bishop.

this is a point and shoot camera. It is bad a-- but still a point and shoot. there is nothing macro about it. The word "macro" on any zoom lens means the point of max magnification. IF you want true macro photos then you really gotta have a Good DSLR with macro lens.

Bishop, NEX-C3 is definitely not a point and shoot. It is a mirrorless system camera that has an APS-C sized sensor, the same as most crop sensor DSLRs. Sony does have a 30mm macro for the camera, which I'll post here. I think there's rumors of a 60mm macro coming out for the camera which will give you a little more working room, but I still think the best macros for reef work would be either a 100mm - 105mm macro lens or Sigma's 150mm lens. None of those come in NEX mount, so your best bet for macro photography would probably be a DSLR. Which one depends entirely on your own opinion on which you like the best.

Wow. I'll stand aside on that one. I've checked these cameras out at Best Buy just because they have all the "fancy". Only lenses I have ever seen were the two common ones. While these are nice cameras from what I gather, It's just not worth the money.

I'd rather spend that money on a camera made by a specialized camera company. Only thing I liked about the camera really was the small size frame housing an APS-C sensor. Just something I like about the look of a camera sensor.

I got the a NEX-7 ;). Also....cannon to e-mount, nikkor to e-mount ect ect adaptors are available, if you don't wanna use the Sony E-Mount to Alpha mount which provides the electronics such as aperture control and IS on Alpha lenses

And there are 9 lenses bishop...plus the entire line up of Alpha lenses if you have the EA2 Conversion mount for full electronic control of Alpha lenses, or if you already own non - electronic lens such as a cannon 100mm w/o electronic aperture or IS a simple E to Cannon adaptor @ 9mm will work

Also Atela. The 24mm Carl Zeiss Lens will give you better macro shots then the 30mm macro...and its a more versatile lense, just saying ;)

Also Atela. The 24mm Carl Zeiss Lens will give you better macro shots then the 30mm macro...and its a more versatile lense, just saying ;)

Will definitely give that some consideration. Thank you all for your input so far. I do have the option of returning the camera. I'm not so sure that I am overly comfortable with it.

You generally won't want to use a macro lens that small unless you plan on getting right up to your subject. Take for instance that 30mm I posted. The minimum focus distance for a 1:1 magnification is around 3.5" This means you will need to get the SENSOR of your camera 3.5" from your subject. 30mm will most likely end up too wide and give distortion because of how wide it is.

• 1 year later...

i have the NEx-f3 model and love the pictures it takes of my tank. i just have the standard lens and these are a few photos

429597_10102846500941143_2077440644_n.jp

163573_10102926221001503_1994819004_n.jp

551511_10102734972719593_973541014_n.jpg

154878_10102734973812403_799231386_n.jpg

Archived