inTank Media Baskets

Different Power Quads?

alistair

I notice Hellolights is selling a 20" full hood 1x96watt coralife aqualight power quad for $97.

However, they have a 20" 1x96watt retrofit kit for $129.

Can anyone tell me why I should not buy the cheaper full hood?

Is it cheaply made? Is the retrokit worth the extra money?

You would have to link the actual items for me to really see what was up, but I am guessing that the full hood comes with the standard endcaps while the retro probably comes with the rubber water resistant endcaps. Some of their priceing is a little odd though. If you buy the 13 watt ballast with a bulb and a power cord seperately they will cost more than the retro, which also includes a reflector. /boggle

Well...best I can figure is that for the hood, the price of $131 with the red line through it AND the bright red letters S A L E P R I C E next to the $97 might mean it's on sale....

http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html

I didn't find any 20" compact flourscent retro kits....however the 18.5" retro kit is $129.95....but i'm thinking that it's not on sale...

http://www.hellolights.com/185cfquadret.html

The coralife 96w powerquad is not the same light as the retro kit.

Let me preface this with the fact that I do not own either of the lights in question. I am pulling on what I have seen posted here, elsewhere, and in talking to people that own these products.

The coralife "hood" has the ballast included in the hood. It gets hot. The ballast doesn't fire the bulb as well (lower quality ballast) and I have heard issues about ballast longevity. Also, the bulb that comes with the hood is supposedly not as high in quality as the retrofit kit's bulb.

Of the two, *IF* i were going the powerquad route, I'd go with the retrofit. You have to build a canopy, and it's more $$$, but you get what you pay for.

Now comes my standard rant:

Don't waste your money on either of these lights. Buy a metal halide now, before you've put money into a PC lighting setup. PC's can be ok for some things, but metal halide will give you better growth and FAR more flexibility with what specimens you can keep. Look in the DIY forum, and you'll find all manner of information about how to make a decent metal halide fixture out of a Regent floodlight from home depot. Depending on how you set the whole system up, you might be able to stay close to the cost of the 96w powerquad light.

Good luck!

-q

I thought I'd just throw this in there for fun.

hellolights powerquad retro=129.95

diy powerquad retro=

workhorse 5-non crappy ballast, from psl(petsupplyliquidator.com)= 25 bucks.

bulb from hellolights.com= 36.95

lamp clips from ^=1.99

socket from psl= 2.00

reflector for power quads (hellolights)=17.95

rubber bands (high heat)=2.99

total=86.87 + shipping fees.

vs. 97.00 aqualight with a ####y ballast.

Another option is buy the 97.00 aqualight, throw away the ballast and replace it with a workhorse 5 mounted externally.

Either way, I agree with qfour's standard rant. Unless your just keeping softies only... . . . . forever.... muahahahaha...

Undertheradar

just read any of my old posts on my love of halides...and my hatred for that powerquad (my cousin had one...we both swear never to buy one again). I think I just did one within the last week...

You can do a 70watt, or even a 150wattDE halide for just a little more...and it's the last light you will ever want (except for maybe bigger...LOL). You will even end up spending less money down the road with halides, cue to their decreased photoperiod needed (some experts say as little as 6 hours is enough), vs 10-14hours a day of PCs. The bulbs last longer (18months with halide vs. 12 or less with PC as mfgs suggest). And overall, it looks better, and everything grows much better!!!

Archived