Coral Vue Hydros

250 DE MH to much for a 15 gallon High?

Uniballer

Hello all, I have a 15 gallon high and i want to do some clam/ sps stuff but my 96 watt powerquad is not going to cut it because of the depth of the tank. So, i was going to step up to MH. I work at my LFS and get most stuff at cost, so I was thinking of getting a AquaMedic OceanLight 250 HQI which runs somewhere around the 13K range of things even though it is called a 10K. The price differance between the 150 and 250 is like 30 dollars so i was thinking of going for the 250. So here is the big question, is 250 to much for 15 gallons and will the heat be a big issue? Also does the glass on those fliter out most of the UV because the way i see it its going to sit pretty high off the surface and like my vision very much.

Thank you for your time.

It is my opinion that it's pretty difficult to get too much light, especially in a tall tank. However, a 250DE metal halide just might be too much, even over a 15high. My suggestion would be to get a higher K bulb, like a 20,000K.

Sounds like a great plan, though. Let us know how it works out.

-q

So i got the 250 watter. I figure i'll probably move to a 29 gallon soon so why not go big. BUT after setting it all up and getting it going, i turned it on for a second time and blew the ballast, sparks and all. Have to love that feeling of blowing 275 bucks. But on the bright side the vendor is bringing a new shipment of them and i get a whole new unit so i guess it works out. But for now i must wait till next week.

• 2 months later...

Archived