inTank Media Baskets

NEON green MB2.5 - Day 1

Looselyhuman

I actually really like the green. Anyway, here is an idea that I saw someone else do. Paint the inside of your hood either white or silver. That way it both reflects the light, and looks normal from the outside. Hey do you think two retro'd 13 watters would fit in that hood? I have always wondered that so I kept my hood. The only problem that I can see would be splashing water on ther bulb...done that before very expsnsive mistake.

Looselyhuman

I think you'd have to cut out some plastic, but they'd probably fit. You'd definitely need to customize the reflector(s).

You might also be able to cut some Lexan to cover the underside of the hood.

• 2 weeks later...
Looselyhuman

Adeed the 25w Thermal Compact, painted the underside of the hood, and added some life...

Hood:

2-5g_underhood_042404.jpg

2-5g_underhood_flash_042404.jpg

2-5g_hood_042404.jpg

Critters:

Rock/Flower Anemone (Epicystis crucifer):

2-5g_E_crucifer_042404.jpg

GSP:

2-5g_GSP_042404.jpg

Shroom Rock (still looking PO'd):

2-5g_shroom2_042404.jpg

Damsel (Chrysiptera talboti):

2-5g_talboti_042404.jpg

Full Tank:

2-5g_3_042404.jpg

The cycle passed w/out NH3/NO2 spikes, probably because the rock was fully cured. With today's addition of LR/corals from my .75g, I think all is well. Going with my instincts.

I'm thinking of Xenia or Anthelia for the upper left/center rockwork (above the cave)...

Any other ideas for corals? I'll do some Zoanthids, but want to do something different (seems like everybody goes overboard on Zos).

Ian

I'd get rid of the damsel. Aside from the tank being small, it's gunna add alot of waste. In a small tank like that, its asking for trouble down the road. Especially if the fish were to die or something. Plus you gotta feed it and stuff, and it all just ends up as waste product. Something like 3-4 sexy shrimp would be cool to replace it with though, and just as nice as a fish IMO.

Zoanthids, mushrooms (even though they might be played out) are great for these sized tanks. Xenia, might end up over-running it eventually, but are cool if you keep it in check.

I second the removal of the damsel.

If you want a fish, get a clown goby or yellow watchman. Or even a hi-fin. Those are good choices for that tank.

The hi-fin would be my pic.

-Justin

Looselyhuman

LOL. Your chance to gripe about my choice of fish passed about 10 posts back (on this thread). That post also has info that might alleviate your concerns (which the fish greatly appreciates).

BTW, he/she is currently .75".

:-)

Ian

I started out with a Damsel, but opted to take him out in an attempt to get my chemistry right. Now that it is I bought a tiny little clown. I like the Damsels, but they love to excavate the gravel, which pisses a perfectionist like me off. I really like the little clown gobys, and the neon blue gobys because they are so small and have tons of character. My clown is as dumb as a rock and when I get a bigger tank like a Nano cube he will more than likely go to my G/f. Hey they tank looks amazing for such a short amount of time. Keep up the good work, and let us know how it is progressing.

By the way I love the heater!! Good job on the hood, and man do I have a DIY project for you to when I have some plans. It involves making a sump/refugium added to the back of the tank in an attempt to added water volume and more space since all of the equipment will be behind the tank.

Looselyhuman
Originally posted by Whitten

I started out with a Damsel, but opted to take him out in an attempt to get my chemistry right.  Now that it is I bought a tiny little clown.  I like the Damsels, but they love to excavate the gravel, which pisses a perfectionist like me off.  I really like the little clown gobys, and the neon blue gobys because they are so small and have tons of character.  My clown is as dumb as a rock and when I get a bigger tank like a Nano cube he will more than likely go to my G/f.  Hey they tank looks amazing for such a short amount of time.  Keep up the good work, and let us know how it is progressing.

Yeah I really like Neon Gobies, too. I have one in my 20 that constantly annoys my Firefish. I got him because the FF had skin flukes when I brought him home. They were gone within a day of adding the NBG. Now that's effective biological intervention!

I just put a tiny percula on hold at my LFS. Hopefully he/she/it will host my Capnella and not be a total reeftard.

Thanks for the props!

Ian

Looselyhuman
Originally posted by Whitten

By the way I love the heater!!  Good job on the hood, and man do I have a DIY project for you to when I have some plans.  It involves making a sump/refugium added to the back of the tank in an attempt to added water volume and more space since all of the equipment will be behind the tank.

Thanks again! B)

Does this project involve another MB2.5 placed back-to-back with the display? That's what I was thinking of last night, anyway... The biggest problem seems to be the little "stand", which angles out from the base of the tank quite a bit. I'd want to have the two tanks nearly touching - so that you could barely see the PVC connecting the two tanks.

What's your idea?

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Hypsophrys,

I have a question for you, if you don't mind: How are your corals fairing under the 6500k curly light?

I'm thinking about putting this setup in my cubicle at the 'ol office, but I'm occasionally gone for long weekends, and I wouldn't want the evaporation to get rediculous. Have you had any problems in that arena? The reason I ask is because I'm hesitant to create an auto topoff system (it might not go over so well with the bosses if i've got a whole mess of stuff all over my desk).

Thanks for your help man.

OH, and anybody else (Whitten) who cares to chime in on this issue... Please Do! :)

Take it easy,

~B

Archived