SaltCritters.com

shallow happy land

mygolfisslow

mygolfisslow

been a while since i updated. ive been having a few issues 1st off still trying to find the sweet spot for this lamp. i had it up to 60% and things started getting pale. so i brought it back down to 45 in hopes that things would get better. but no instant brown..... today i have gone with a different route. instead of trying to match the natural mode with my own color, i have it rampping up over an hour and a half then it levels off at 40% and then ramps down. more like my old cycle. 2nd the bubble blaster proved to be a bit much for my skimmer body i just could not get it to skim dry. so i switched back to the old pump. 3rd my nitrates went up after stopping the vinegar dosing but it leveled off and has started going down. i stopped using vinegar because of a bit of a cyno outbreak that i am still working on getting rid of. not all that happy with the way things are going. but everything is testing well so i think things just need more light and some time.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mygolfisslow

things are looking up finally.....

mangroves are growing. the one i started as a pod has grown it first pair of leaves, and one of the others has also grown a new pair.

d7f34644.jpg

045e4733.jpg

2.slowduo

I'm really sad that I have to get rid of all my stuff for this move

I have always been curious why you have not run any of your led fixtures at 100%

dont these critters crave high light, seems thats why they do so well under metal halide

I would just blast that ####, but you know me ;)

• 2 weeks later...
mygolfisslow

things are starting to look better red slime is on its way out. corals are coloring up nicely. still slowly working the light up i am now running john from ecotechs graph +3. i had to make a screen for the top as my male snowflake went for a swim on the floor :(. i am going out of town for a week so the tank will be on auto pilot. i will be replacing my lost clown when i return. and i will continue to work the light up more. im kind of looking forward to not seeing my tank for a week. everything is looks better everyday, i cant wait to see it after a week away. two of my mangroves are about to sprout leaves again. also i may be returning with some fun stuff as my brother is going to take down his tank. pics in a week

Godam clownfish love to jump out of this thing! My screen is working perfectly and it doesn't look that bad. What did you make yours out of? Sorry to here about your brown out. I personally think that a longer ramp helps to keep things more natural. I have 6 timers and all of them have 60-120 minute ramps. That said, the sps are def not as colorful as they should be. I added another blue stunner strip and a magenta. Those are definitely enhancing the colors and I'm pretty siked about it.

That's cool about the mangroves. I might get some to have growing from the overflow area. Are there any special requirements for them? I had one when I had my bio cube, but never researched it.

mygolfisslow
Godam clownfish love to jump out of this thing! My screen is working perfectly and it doesn't look that bad. What did you make yours out of? Sorry to here about your brown out. I personally think that a longer ramp helps to keep things more natural. I have 6 timers and all of them have 60-120 minute ramps. That said, the sps are def not as colorful as they should be. I added another blue stunner strip and a magenta. Those are definitely enhancing the colors and I'm pretty siked about it.

That's cool about the mangroves. I might get some to have growing from the overflow area. Are there any special requirements for them? I had one when I had my bio cube, but never researched it.

i just did an h-depot trip did a diy screen with bird netting i did have to make some 45º so my trees still stick out. yeah it sucks to have brown corals i think i freeked out when things got pale and turned the light down way to far but i think its set up better now and things are looking happy i did lose my red monti cap.

as for mangroves there is really now much you have to do but stick them in the water and wait they grow super slow. they do take out some nitrates and mag so you may want to keep an eye on mag. you will also want to spray some fresh water on the leaves every now and then as they some times excrete salt from the leaves and you want to wash it off so they don't burn.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived