Coral Vue Hydros

Green Algae on glass... What to do?

JMCollins24

Lately I've been having to clean my glass from green algae about everyday... I'm not sure what's causing this since my water parameters seems to be good... My nitrates were a little higher (around 10 ppm), but with a water change- I've been able to bring them down to around 5ppm. Is this just a phase with a newer tank that it will grow out of?

pH- 8.0

Alk- 9 dKH

Ammonia/ Nitrites- 0

nitrates- 5 ppm

Calcium 480

It will happen pretty much no matter how old your tank is. Remember, algae thrives on light and nutrients, if you only have 5 nitrates and 0 phosphates, your algae could be eating up 5 more pp

Nitrates and depleting all your phosphates. Just enough to survive.

It will happen pretty much no matter how old your tank is. Remember, algae thrives on light and nutrients, if you only have 5 nitrates and 0 phosphates, your algae could be eating up 5 more pp

Nitrates and depleting all your phosphates. Just enough to survive.

Yeah, i've read some good things about the green algae on the glass- most cases they say it's a good thing if it doesn't get out of control... I just wonder what causes it and if it's my nitrates- I would love to get them as close to 0 as possible.. any suggestions? In my ac70 (that I would love to mod into a fuge eventually) I have the foam, carbon and biomax stuff... I've been running them for about a week to polish my water up a little...

Chaeto will definitely help. You could try an algae scrubber too, but I'd start with the cheato.

Alternatively, your best bet is to clean your glass and not worry about it.

Also, what's your CuC like?

Chaeto will definitely help. You could try an algae scrubber too, but I'd start with the cheato.

Alternatively, your best bet is to clean your glass and not worry about it.

Also, what's your CuC like?

yeah, I'm cleaning it daily with a mag cleaner and I would love to mod my ac70 when i get some more time and the intank light... that said, my CUC consists of about 7 snails- mostly astrea snails and about 7 hermits and 1 emerald crab... I keep wanting to add a fighting conch to help clear up the sand, but I haven't really been able to find one locally... would growing the chaeto in my DT be such a bad thing if I grow it behind the rocks?

yeah, I'm cleaning it daily with a mag cleaner and I would love to mod my ac70 when i get some more time and the intank light... that said, my CUC consists of about 7 snails- mostly astrea snails and about 7 hermits and 1 emerald crab... I keep wanting to add a fighting conch to help clear up the sand, but I haven't really been able to find one locally... would growing the chaeto in my DT be such a bad thing if I grow it behind the rocks?

A small amount of algae is fine. However, if it is getting out of control, I would recommend increasing your water flow and cutting back on the hours you are lighting up your tank. Heavy lighting can cause this even with great water quality.

Have you stocked your tank with any fish yet?

Edited by siliconflux
Google Mr clean magic eraser to clean the reef tank, pretty amazing stuff w didn't know a month ago

Do you use the Magic Eraser inside the tank. When I've used it to clean around the house, it leaves a slightly white residue, so I was wondering if that could be harmful. Otherwise you're right-it removes EVERYTHING. Like MAGIC!! :P

I personally haven't done it but there is a thread on here from 2009 about it being used inside it just sounded neat to show strange methods people use!

Edited by brandon429
A small amount of algae is fine. However, if it is getting out of control, I would recommend increasing your water flow and cutting back on the hours you are lighting up your tank. Heavy lighting can cause this even with great water quality.

Have you stocked your tank with any fish yet?

Yes, I have two clowns... Since I've done a water change, it seems that the nitrates have gotten better and the algae has started to subside a little from the glass...

green dust algae use magfloat and just whipe it everyday. happens some times. gfo or a ton of snails to keep it away. usually phosphates are the culprit. usually neon green, not good algae.

green encrusting (hard) algea that doesnt wipe off with your finger maybe coraline and thats good.

• 7 years later...
42 minutes ago, Bova said:

What is this cheato that you speak of? I've had to clean my glass everyday, this algae grows quickly! 

It's a macro algae that you can grow in your tank/sump/fuge that will eat up nitrates and phosphates. As it grows you cut pieces of it off and throw it away. It's a very effective method of nutrient export if you have the space to cultivate some.

Edited by thetonyage
"nutrients" = Phosphates and Nitrates
13 hours ago, Bova said:

What is this cheato that you speak of? I've had to clean my glass everyday, this algae grows quickly! 

https://aquariumdepot.com/chaetomorpha-aka-chaeto-chaetomorpha-spiralis-small/

typically people shove it in there refrigium. 

If you dont have one, you can also use a soap dish like this and stuff it in there:

https://www.amazon.com/Bath-Bliss-Soap-Dish-Clear/dp/B004W7XFPE/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?keywords=soap+dish+clear+suction+cup&qid=1551678469&s=gateway&sr=8-12

They are good nutrient exporters, and out compete green algae. 

They are also very good phosphate reducers.  

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2012 at 10:35 AM, Lawnman said:

Algae grows on glass green purple pink. Scrape it off and enjoy the view.

Agreed. I love when I clean the glass and it’s crystal clear.