Cultivated Reef

upgrading from 10g to 20H

reeferhead

Okay I cleared out my freshwater 20H and am planning moving everything from my 10g to the 20H (20" depth). I would like to keep SPS and Clams in addition to what I already have. So, I've been looking at 175 watt kits. I have a 55 watt PC laying around and could use that for actinic suplementation. With a 175 watt plus a 55 watt PC that would be over 10 watts per gallon so I figured that would be enough. What do you guys think?

Also, what brands are you guys goin' with, I've been looking at PFO, Ice Cap, but I have no experience with any of them so, help?

i have a 20h with a 175w mh and 2-65w pcs with the pfo ballast and love it make yourself a nice ventilated canopy and you should do fine

Hey Coral Reef

What have you been able to keep with that set up. Also how tall is your hood and how far is your bulb from the water surface? Electronic or magnetic pulse/probe ballast? Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks for reply.

Smokin'

Thanks for the help. What's your set up? Heat issues,canopy or pendant? I would like to DIY a hood but I think a pendant might just be easier. Just lookin' for a good setup. Thans.

Undertheradar

Im with smokin...the 175s tend to hog up alot of space, not to mention have a pretty dismal output in comparison to even a 150wattDE bulb. Perhaps a 150wattDE at about 10,000K and the actinic PC you speak of would be perfect for what you want.

OOOOORRRRRR, you say you want clams. Despite popular belief, the maxima and crocea types (blue mantle) that everyone digging so much are not shallow water species...they prefer deeper...bluer. You can get away with one bulb in this case...a 250wattDE halide, but get one rated at 15-20,000K to give the tank a 'deep blue sea' look. This will eliminate the need for additional actinic as well...unless you are just obsessed with blue..LOL???

20" Won PSL 150 Metal Halide HQI Hood Only - Complete

is this what you're saying?

Won product is not bad, but not a top class too.

It does not specify the maker of the bulb. So... only-god-knows-what MH bulb... also it use magnetic ballast. All for 250.

Then...

pendant about 100~120

E-ballast about 100~120

150W bulb about 70~100

So, if you willing to spend a few more bucks, you can have e-ballast and your own choice of bulb.

Archived