SaltCritters.com

plate coral

evassj4

I'm interested in getting a plate coral, more specifically a Fungia repanda. I have done a search on this board and the lowest wattage that I have seen these under is 2x38w. I'm wondering if my 2x28w will be sufficient.

Also, I have done a little research on this particular plate and it seems that in the wild they can grow to up to 12 inches(30cm) in diameter. I have a 10g with not a lot of space on the sand, but I see that others with similar setups are keeping plates. I'm wondering if plates stay significantly smaller in captivity, if your species of plate has a smaller maximum size, or if you have some kind of plan for when the plate out grows your aquarium.

Also, I've heard that it is normal for plates to increase in size two fold by filling themselves with water. Is this increase in thickness or in diameter? In the pictures I've seen it looks like it is thickness, but I want to make sure. Thanks for your replies.

movingshadow

actually the diameter increases significantly on some species as well, it depends how much light they get and if you feed them (my fungia loves shrimp and mysis). I'd suggest getting some more light, I don't think 56W (is that right?) total will cut it (at least I wouldn't risk it). look into getting another pc or even a high wattage/high kelvin "curly bulb" (regular socket, built in ballast)... see what others have to say, but my suggestion would be to upgrade the lighting a bit...

hth

Archived