ReefCleaners.org

Nano to "Not So" Nano ie My progression in the hobby

luvtolean

ok this isnt a stalker question but i just wanna know where all you people who have fish tanks at work.... work. thats totally awesome that you get to keep tanks there i hope to find a job where i can do that myself. hahahahha. nice tank btw. im actually friends with gavin so if your ever interested in anymore frags just let us know.

:) Well, I have a cool boss, and I'm an engineer at a semiconductor company. All the DIY stuff has been done in our little machine shop here at work. (on weekends) The boss and I get most of our livestock on lunchtime fish store runs.

Our tanks are kinda "famous" around here...I think there'd be problems if we wanted to take them home. At times it's almost too much you end up with too many people stopping to talk about fish!

Yeah, the 7 gallon is at home and is now my GF's tank. She has some live rock, macro and a couple of damsels she's got literally eating our of her hand in it. She's petrified of killing corals so there won't be any in her tank anytime soon.

More updates.

I added a closed loop using a SCWD and a Quiet One 780 GPH pump over the weekend.

I used as much 1" tubing as I could. The only parts that are 3/4" are the tubing into the SCWD (reduced from a 1" feed line) and the outputs of it. With all these bends I'm sure I get some mad head loss, but using 1" and a big pump means I still get good flow.

The SCWD actually is above the tank. The height of the pump, the length of a ball valve and union = the height of the tank. Oh well...been planning on moving my fixture up...now it will be to hide the plumbing.

And the inside of the tank. I don't know why my camera hates the actinic sunset, but that is the reason for the crazy colors. I wish there was less stuff, but I roughed everything up hoping coraline would take hold quicker, and it is better than the powerheads it'd take for this kinda flow IMO.

Also, finally got my chiller. I had a thermoelectric aqua medic but that thing is pure junk. I tried all kinds of flow rate and could not change the temp of the tank a bit. Now I have a Pacific Coast Imports 1/6 hp chiller, which doesn't cost too much more, and it holds the temps steady at 78º without too much work. This thing rocks.

Archived