inTank Media Baskets

My 26 Gallon

smy168

I know, not really a nano but it started out in a 7 gallon.

Hardware Specs:

26 Gallon Bow

250 Watt MHDE 20K Aquaspacelight

18 inch Aquafuge w/ Lee's Countercurrent skimmer

4XMaxiJet 600

2XMaxijet 400

50 Watt VisioTherm heater

Filtration Specs:

46 lbs LR

5.5 inch LS

3lbs of LR in Fuge

2 inches LS in Fuge

Inhabitants:

Red Hawkfish

Sunrise Dottyback

3X Bali damsels

Golden Dwarf Moray

Percula Gold Striped Clown

(i know...alot of fish but I do bi-weekly water changes)

Corals/Inverts:

Pink Leather Finger

Leather

2X Croceas

3X Maximas

Squamosa

Derasa

4X Monti Caps

Alv

Frog Spawn

Choc. Anenome

Candy Cane

Various Polyps/Zoos/Feather Dusters

3 Flame Scallops

Florida Ricordias

Hairy Mushrooms

PipeOrgan

Nice tank! I was wondering what you do to combat the heat that the 250w halide does to your tank temps? I was thinking of retro-fitting my current hood with two 150w and was just looking for some pointers. I can't afford any chillers so that is out of the question.

I have the light mounted in the wall behind the tank and it's about 11.5 inches above the water line so it's not that bad with regard to heat, no canopy, no fan. The temps are from a low of 77.6 to a high of 83 on a average day.

Wow! Quite a tank. How much calcium/alk are you dosing? Or are you just relying on your frequent water changes? How long has it all been set up?

Also - what air pump are you using to run that skimmer?

I dose every other day rotating DTs and KoralVitF for feeding and I'm dosing B-Ionic everyday. The tank volume is 26 gallons plus about 8-8.5 gallons in the fuge so I hit the tank with about 10mm per day. I used the Lee's CounterCurrentSkimmer (small) because it fits directly into the Aquafuge. I run the skimmer off a Rena Air50...some advice on the skimmer...

"not easy to set up at all but once you have it perfect, it's pretty much a great skimmer, you really have to play with it."

The tank has been running for about 1.5 years, she recently endured a move (tanks been here for 3 months) and came back very nicely. I happy with her!

I change the water every 2.5 weeks more so because of the fish, as you can see up top, I have a very heavy bio-load, but on a small tank like this, I change about 3 inches when I do.

the light comes on from 1:30pm through 10:45pm, since I work from home, I get to really enjoy it while I work. If I could do it all over again...i wouldn't change a thing...I have a great little piece of the ocean in my home and love the hobby tremendously....

Thanks for letting me rant and rave...I hope you all enjoy my fuzzy pics, it's always a great joy to share something you created from an empty glass (or acrylic) box.

Steven

I was just wondering where you got the golden dwarf moray. I've been looking for a true one for a long time. Thanks, Jaymes

Originally posted by jayme22

I was just wondering where you got the golden dwarf moray.  I've been looking for a true one for a long time.  Thanks, Jaymes

It took me forever to find the moray...problem is there are very very limited resources for a "true" Golden Dwarf, this is the South American Golden which isn't a "true" one. I got ifrom a place in New Jersy called AbsolutelyFish. It works for me though, it's about 13 inches long and the width of about1 inch.

Let me know if you're interested, I'll be willing to deal mine because I think my tank is a good size for him but could probably be a little bigger. He hasn't gone after my fish or crabs though I don't keep shrimp in my tank.

Steven

Beautiful set up. Congrats.

How do you have your powerheads positioned? From your list it looks like you have six. Are they constantly on or on a wave maker?

hard to describe...hmmm,

I have 2 (400s a&B) place directly in the center back glass high, for top water movement. They switch on and off at a 2 minute clip with the Natural Wave timer.

I have 2 (600 c&d) placed low directed across the back glass toward each other and 2 (400 e&f) placed on the middle of the side glasses directed at the oppisite corners

C&E runs together and D&F run together on a Corallife PowerCenter set to switch every 15 mins during daylight hours and then 45 minute clips when the lights go off.

The pic is weird, I'm really really bad with the editing tools sorry guys here goes ( i wish I knew how to put more pics per post rather than one at a time) 4 pics

Archived