Cultivated Reef

Should I worry about this coral?

GobyMan

This is the only SPS I have in my tank which I have not seen any polyps on. Under Actinic is the "tips" are bluish/purplish but I have yet to see any poylps extend.....

does it extend at night? it looks pretty good. the flesh doesn't seem thinned out yet. what kind of current do you have on it?

dave has a good point to directly entice it but be careful not to overdo it as this is your nano. 5.5g is a puddle ;)

Got it about three weeks ago when I added about 4 other small frags of various SPS. They were all extending polyps within a day or two. I have been feeding the tank DT every three days and my alk and calc levels are good.....11.2 dKH/420 Calcium as of yesterday.

I do have a rock with about 4 red mushrooms on it but they are on the other end of the tank...the mushrooms are all pretty small. Last w/c was Wednesday...I change 1 gallon every week. Dose only w/ Reef DNA every couple days and B-ionic every day.

I guess I need to look when the lights are off...shine a flashlight in there. Current wise I have a Rio 50 on one end of the tank and a Zoo Med on the other end aimed right at each other...seems to generate some nice random currents.

I have some freeze dried brine and some fresh shrimp/scallops I have frozen to feed my cleaners...maybe just soak some of the shrimp in some water then take that water in a syringe and target the coral?

Thanks for the help, I love this board!!!

Lighting intenisty might be an issue. If the coral doesnt sense enough light, it wont open. Are U using PC only?

Also 90 % of sps will reject plant foods ie DT's

The shrooms (and others) can have a chemical inhibitor that will cause the SPS to have "issues" with opening in that small of a tank as the water can carry strong coral Signatures allover the tank rapidly... This may NOT be the technical reason, but it highly probable. I assume U have no skimmer on it?

:

Yes, no skimmer.

Lighting is only PC: 2 x 55 10k and actinic. Should have my new 03 bulb Monday or Tuesday.

Hmm, so it may be a matter of removing the mushrooms? The other SPS I have have been extending polyps regularly. You can see the shots from these in the member tank section.

The coral is epoxyed to my LR but I guess if I need to I can try to remove it and raise it higher in the tank. Think that may make a difference? I will try the shrimp water and see if anything happens.

Thanks!

Yeah, I think it is a formosa! Maybe that is the reason then. I targeted some shrimp juice and there was really no change....I snapped this after the juice experiment. I was thinking maybe the "bumps" were the polyps?

no, the bumps are where the polyps are hiding! :) the polyps should be whiteish. they may be getting ready to emerge though from the shrimp juice!

i thought you had another acro from your pics i saw in the member's page? the polyps should look basically the same.

Well, I checked a couple times last night and nothing. The coral doesn't look bad, just no polyps. Should I try to relocate it somewhere in the tank. Maybe higher up and in a stronger current??

that's a good thought. i'll assume you're dosing the necessary spectrum of additives (esp. strontium). that's not to say od on anything though. following mfg. recommendations are fine for a nano.

Only thing I am dosing is Reef DNA every 3 days or so (seems to help the coraline) and b-ionic. I thought b-ionic have stron and other elements added? Even without it I have been doing weekly water changes and figured that would cover me...

Is it a synthetic Plastic reproduction coral ? they are really making them look life-like these days:D

Give it some time. They can take a while to acclimate, but 4 weeks should have been enough. IMHO, It is in need of direct halides. See If U can trade some one, Id hate to hear ya lost it.:(

Archived