Pod Your Reef

christmas tree coral

mineralrock

mineralrock

can someone give me some info on this coral..?

i've heard from some that it needs halide...others that its a low light coral? meh!

so what does it like placement/lighting/flow wise?

If it's the coral that I've seen called a "Christma Tree" coral it's asymbiotic - does not need light. Not sure what they eat - phyto and the like?

mineralrock

It's definitely asymbiotic....the one small piece of information i know.

By night it looks like a potato with a hole in the middle...by day it opens up to look like a white drooping christmas tree with red polyps (almost looking like lights).....heh....it's most definitely a soft coral.

Ive got one of these, rasta leather is w. I've been calling it. Mine closes up at night as well every night. Ive got it about midway up my 75G. And Ive got 250MH lighting plus some actinics. Mines doing fine, it's been closed up for at least week though, I moved it in the tank and added some more LR, it shedded and is now back to normal.

I think it's a pretty easy care coral. Mines still alive and I've only been reefing since October. Does yours glow greenish under actinic? I wonder if mines getting too much light.

How big is yours? Does it only have a few branches. As they grow bigger i think they might actually droop. Pretty cool coral.

From Borneman: the genus is studeroites, rubble bottom or soft substrate, moderate to strong water flow, not particularly easy to keep, aposymbiotic, foods accepted: baby brine shrimp and other small plankton fare. HTH...P

Archived