Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

red brain coral

c_hemmerich

c_hemmerich

i just need some general info on red brain corals. Here is my set up..

5.5g tank

1X 20W 50/50 corailfe mini compact

penguin mini filter

zoo med rotating powerhead

homemade moon lighting

10pds live rock

i just want to know if i have the requirements to have a brain since someone gave me a small specimen. i was also wondering how to tell if a brain is looking in good health... mine seems to have some white fluff hanging off of him sort of as if it is molting or something. What is this?

Thanks a bunch!!!

I wouldn't recommend keeping a brain under 20 watts. While they are lower light stoney corals, they would definitely benefit from more light. Can it be done? Probably, but it won't grow very quick.

Are you sure its not a blastomussa?

If you are referring to an open brain coral, 20 watts from a compact fluorescent fixture is sufficient lighting. I've had a green open brain under 18 wwatts for over 18 months and he is doing quite well. Open brains should be placed in an area of low flow; they do not like direct current as this may tear their "flesh" when they expand. They are typically placed in the sand/substrate, but may be placed on a rock shelf, just make sure he's are stable and won't fall off (this the way mine is - he's in an eclipse 6 with an 18 watt JBJ clamp light). Wherever you put it, make sure it has some room as they can expand to be quite large during the photoperiod. Make sure you have around 400ppm calcium in the water.

They like to be fed mysis shrimp or small pieces of krill several times a week. Just place the food on their tentacles/polyps which usually expand after the lights are off. If the food is the wrong type or too big a piece they will spit it out later so look for leftovers in the morning :).

Archived