great live rock from Dr. Mac:

6252hpim0427-med.jpg

my 2 newest corals:

6252DSCF0028-med.JPG

and:

6252DSCF0032-med.JPG

how a hermit crab can molest zoanthids:

6252DSCF0051-med.JPG

Well, that's it so far. Let me know what you all think!

It looks great!!

I want a Via Aqua so bad, but I'm having an impossible time looking online.

Does their company have a web site? Where can I purchase a Via Aqua 18?

actually custom aquatics is out. My friend has been waiting for weeks and they don't have them in stock. You can still order from custom aquatics (where I got mine) and hopefully they'll come in eventually.

As for the live rock, it's Kaelini Tonga from Dr. Mac. I totally recommend it, especially if you can make the trip to BWI. That way you avoid shipping.

Reefer_Buddha

there are some via aquas here but they want $225 for an 18g. Rip off. Expect to pay a lot for those tanks, for some reason vendors think they are gold.

you should expect to pay about $170 before shipping. mine totalled $200 with shipping to the baltimore area.

exlfsemployee

I have the 10gal via aqua, I only payed $15 for mine brand new, but I worked at an LFS and it was sitting in the store for about 6 months so the boss let me have it for $15. LUCKY ME. I wish I had bought the 18, finding suitable lighting for this little 10 gal is becoming a huge pain. my tank has been running for 3 months, but I never had to cycle due to the water I used from our reserve tanks at the LFS, the only things I have our some hermits, snails and LR. I NEED LIGHTS!!!! Steve nice tank BTW, I love the LR

CAMBY

Thanks for the kind words, people. I guess I should give some specs....

hardware:

Via Aqua 18 (obviously)

Stock lighting - 36x2 watts PC

(soon upgrading to 150W aqua spacelight 10000K pendant

AquaClear 500 HOB

2x AC201 powerheads

150w ebo jager heater

rock and substrate:

27 lbs live rock from dr mac

21 lbs live sand from dr mac

cleanup crew:

6 blue leg hermits

5 nassarius

2 astrea

3-4 cerith

2 bumblebee

3 oscellaris clowns

inverts:

orange zoos

pulsing xenia

euphyllia paraancora

and more to come!

It comes with an undergravel filter that you won't want to use. There's a small plastic bracket that you attach the lift tube to, and you can just peel that off, since it's siliconed on. It comes with a small and not-so-great powerhead that runs the undergravel filter, but you'll probably only want to use this to mix saltwater. You'll want something to move water around in your tank. You can buy a powerhead (maxijets or aquaclear are good), and you'll have to decide if that's enough flow for you, or not. You can add something that hangs on the back, like an aquaclear 300 or 500 (no filter media, of course) or a protein skimmer. Do a lot of research before you spend the money on a protein skimmer, though, to be sure you get one that works well. Also, you'll obviously need a heater (100 or 150 watts, and fully submersible would be preferred and more convenient, depending on where you want to place it in the tank - mine's submerged in my aquaclear 500 hang-on-back filter).

Be sure to read all of the articles on this page: http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/ and then you should have a good start.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

im in the ft worth tx. this store carries the via on a regular basis.

here is cost

18 gal w/ light. 197.99

21 gal w/ light 219.99

not sure if they will ship or not.. they might order and drop ship to your house from commodity axis. thats where they get theirs direct from CA.

here is my tank i just got...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=29513

**************** store info******************

Fish Place

(817) 737-8265 2062 Green Oaks Rd

Fort Worth, TX 76116

hope this helps.

Archived