SaltCritters.com

Ethan's 12g Vagabond Tank

ScubaEthan

Bummer about the sinuses, but I know what you mean about changing locales and suddenly having problems. Mine started when I moved to Jacksonville, FL, which is one of the allergy capitals of the world. You'd think with a constant ocean breeze it would be different, but nope! My sinuses went ape, and it was a couple of years before I figured it out. For a few years, I was on a constant diet of nasonex, claritin, pseudophedrine, and antibiotics. It was the neti pot that finally saved me! Seriously, it took me two years to get up the guts to try it, then the effect was almost immediate. Now, another 2 years later, I only take sudafed when the weather is acting up, haven't had a sinus infection/antibiotic in 4 years, put down the nasonex, and only take zyrtec. It's been great, and is one of those alternative therapies that I argue loudly about with butthole MDs who insist that there's "no evidence" that nasal irrigation works.

In any case, give everything time to heal! Pics of tank look good -- I love all the polyps!

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o the last photo :scarry:

For a few years, I was on a constant diet of nasonex, claritin, pseudophedrine, and antibiotics. It was the neti pot that finally saved me! Seriously, it took me two years to get up the guts to try it, then the effect was almost immediate.

In any case, give everything time to heal! Pics of tank look good -- I love all the polyps!

Thanks!

That sounds like me. This morning I took two antibiotics, zyrtec, pseudphedrine, vitamins, and last night was one antibiotic and nasonex. I feel nauseous :( I'm not a fan of taking lots of meds. I read how antibiotics really screw up your digestive system's delicate bacteria balance. I hope that once I get over this, coupled with my new diet of only fresh, organic food from the farmer's market, I will be a lot healthier.

This may sound wierd, but look into Cod liver oil for chronic sinusitis. It's good for you and it even comes in flavors. Both my kids have severe cases when they were young and it really helped.

This may sound wierd, but look into Cod liver oil for chronic sinusitis. It's good for you and it even comes in flavors. Both my kids have severe cases when they were young and it really helped.

I grew up taking cod liver oil. I still take it and give it to my son as well.

Agreed about that last picture of the dead guy. Yikes.

I'll look into that. Thanks :)

Guess who got new coral!?!?!

Everyone is getting new stuff so I had to feed the habit. Plus, I had a Petco coupon about to expire so I thought I'd "rescue" something. I think I got a pretty sweet deal. Photos to come later tonight.

Ok so there was an nice colorful acan I wanted but it was $69 (hehe, 69) and I just didn't want to spend that much cause I'm saving for some personal stuff. But I thought a rock full of mushrooms would give me more bang for my buck at just $45. It looked like brown ricordea yumas.

Then I put them under my LEDs....

And BAM!

2012-03-01_22-47-11_156.jpg

Pierre is having a hay day

2012-03-01_22-47-32_391.jpg

Close-up

2012-03-01_22-47-57_161.jpg

There's at least 30 mouths. I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to pricing... but this is a steal, eh?

In other news, this ric has gotten to split sooooon!

2012-03-01_22-49-13_130.jpg

Now all my other coral is just kind of piled up to make room for this big shroom rock at the bottom. This weekend I want to get everything off the plugs and glued to more permanent locations.

B)

OH and I found 5 stomatellas, a black one, and one that looks like a stomatella without the hard shell. I might have accidentally separated it when picking stuff off the rock. Didn't want any yucky stuff from Petco. Should I throw them all in?

Looking good.

Looks like we both have goals of removing frags off plugs this weekend. I've never done it, kinda nervous :/

Looking good.

Looks like we both have goals of removing frags off plugs this weekend. I've never done it, kinda nervous :/

Thanks. I just did it to some zoas and palys. It was surprisingly easy to pry them off the plug and superglue is amazing. But then using epoxy to attach a small rock with coral to a base rock is not easy :rant:

I'm nervous about my tiny single sps branch :/

Ethan, those new rics you got look like my pastel rainbow ones. Nice score on that huge rock of them! I was excited to get the two heads I bought for like $20.

Ok so there was an nice colorful acan I wanted but it was $69 (hehe, 69) and I just didn't want to spend that much cause I'm saving for some personal stuff. But I thought a rock full of mushrooms would give me more bang for my buck at just $45. It looked like brown ricordea yumas.

Then I put them under my LEDs....

And BAM!

2012-03-01_22-47-11_156.jpg

Pierre is having a hay day

2012-03-01_22-47-32_391.jpg

Close-up

2012-03-01_22-47-57_161.jpg

There's at least 30 mouths. I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to pricing... but this is a steal, eh?

In other news, this ric has gotten to split sooooon!

2012-03-01_22-49-13_130.jpg

Now all my other coral is just kind of piled up to make room for this big shroom rock at the bottom. This weekend I want to get everything off the plugs and glued to more permanent locations.

B)

OH and I found 5 stomatellas, a black one, and one that looks like a stomatella without the hard shell. I might have accidentally separated it when picking stuff off the rock. Didn't want any yucky stuff from Petco. Should I throw them all in?

At $1.50 a mouth, it was a steal but how much of a steal will be revealed when/if they color up. B)

Throw the stomatellas in, they are awesome cleaners. I have one that lives in my overflow box.

Looking good.

Easiest way is to attack the glue at the base of the plug. Take a new razor blade and slide it flat along the top and it should just pop off.

At $1.50 a mouth, it was a steal but how much of a steal will be revealed when/if they color up. B)

Throw the stomatellas in, they are awesome cleaners. I have one that lives in my overflow box.

Easiest way is to attack the glue at the base of the plug. Take a new razor blade and slide it flat along the top and it should just pop off.

Well just putting them under my LEDs made a world of difference. I can't wait to see them happy. You can tell they were still a little shocked in the photos.

The stomatellas are fast little buggers! I now have 5 species of snails in 12g ;)

Ok so now tell me how to use that epoxy crap. I got the kind from Two Little Fishies. I attached a few things with it last night and one of them popped off already. I guess it needs to go over the rocks instead of just in between.

Oh wow!!!!!!! That's a score right there!!!! Those are fantastic. I love the orange and pink in them. I bet they color up even more beautifully for you too :happy:

+1 on stomatellas....they rock!!!!

Using the putty stuff along with the glue is the way to go.

surgicalsense

Those are great pictures, Ethan of your dive. The nudi is the same one I found at the beach during low tide. That is really cool, now I know what kind it is. Your tank is also looking sweet, too.

Oh wow!!!!!!! That's a score right there!!!! Those are fantastic. I love the orange and pink in them. I bet they color up even more beautifully for you too :happy:

+1 on stomatellas....they rock!!!!

Using the putty stuff along with the glue is the way to go.

In person, below the polyp things, they are blue, green, and purple :happy: They look much better now that they've opened up. Photos to come....

I tried the sandwich (super glue/epoxy/super glue) and that works better. Thanks!

Those are great pictures, Ethan of your dive. The nudi is the same one I found at the beach during low tide. That is really cool, now I know what kind it is. Your tank is also looking sweet, too.

:D I am obsessed with naming things. I study those little ID cards to know what I'm looking at and what they do.

Those three little babies at the bottom are so cute :wub:

2012-03-02_17-36-29_111.jpg

2012-03-02_17-37-09_714.jpg

Even more polyps and it's encrusting on the wall in the back :) I'm just so impressed by this monti cause it was beige and boring when I got it for free. Now it's growing fast, has polyps, and turning green.

2012-03-02_17-39-00_452.jpg

Removed the frag rack and took some of them off plugs. Now I have twin peaks. Just gotta paint that intake cover.

Full%20tank%20shot%20at%204%20months.jpg

I'm lovin the twin peaks A LOT!!!!! Everything looks fabulous. Maybe those yumas are a rainbow variety fingerscrossed

wow your tank looks so much different ethan...

:happydance:

Hope you mean different in a good way haha

I paid for my Petco yuma deal... red flatworms :o<_<

Air line siphoning worked for me. I almost guarantee you they are the same species as the ones I had because mine lived on my yumas and green mushroom exclusively. They are commensual so they won't hurt them. It's super easy to take care of.

Easier than aiptasia IMO.

Archived