SaltCritters.com

brown slug on glass (I hope it isn't a flatworm!)

Chyendra

Flatworm? I really really hope not! thre are about 5 of them, they stick to the glass and move around more at night. They are brown with a tiny whiteish circle in them.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sure looks like flatworms to me :( The bright side is as follows:

You'r tank is relativley new correct? Flatworm eXit does work, but I always hate putting it in my tank... What I do now is everytime I get something new, from rock, sand, to corals. I dip it first in some SW with flatworm eXit in it, then let it set for a minute or 2, then shake it around in there. A quick freshwater shake then gets ride of the last of it. If you dont have any corals in there yet, suck as many as you can out, then consider doing the treatment outside your tank to your LR... Just a suggestion though.

Some LFS stores carry it, salifert (spelling) is who makes it. Its easy to find at the online reef stores and such too. It is 'reef safe' and I have used it on my 20 gallon when I had it without any problems. The stuff itself is reef safe, but when flatworms die they are pretty toxic, so follow the instructions carefully and suck them out when they die if you use it in your tank... That is why I prefer doing as much as I can outside of the tank, then once you know the tank is flatworm free, just make up a little drip or 2 of flatworm exit in some water and make sure the new peices are clean/free.

• 3 weeks later...

Well... I got some flatworm exit, and I'm waiting a few minutes for it to take affect. What i'm wondering is there has been an over abundence of brown-spot algea lately as soon as i discovered my flatworms. These arn't flatworms too are they? they look like a brown spot of algea, don't move, and are a pain to scrub off. Could they be related to my flatworm problem?

Thanks

Originally posted by Chyendra

Well... I got some flatworm exit, and I'm waiting a few minutes for it to take affect. What i'm wondering is there has been an over abundence of brown-spot algea lately as soon as i discovered my flatworms. These arn't flatworms too are they? they look like a brown spot of algea, don't move, and are a pain to scrub off. Could they be related to my flatworm problem?

Thanks

Sounds un-related but I'd have to see pictures to know for sure? Maybe someone else can chime in?

Scooter blenneys along with 6 line wrasses and the occasional mandirin can sometimes feast on flatworms, but not always. If you were going to get one anyways, cool, but I wouldnt suggest getting one only for that purpose because they may or may not do the job.

While that can be true enough. I've never had a case or known of a case with someone else that when a "scooter" was placed in the tank the flatworms have not gone away. I say gone away because I have yet to see a "scooter" ever eat one. Fo all I know they are throwing them out of the tank. We happened on this discovery by accident but every time we have placed a scooter in a tank with the flatworms they eventually become impossible to find.

Archived