Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gluing wet Live Rock together

Atela

Arranging rocks is quite a challenge. Every time that I get it set up the way that I like it, my rocks inevitably fall over during water changes and tank clean-up sessions. I read on here that epoxy works like a charm. I inquired at my LFS of what product to use. They sold me HoldFast by Instant Ocean. The front of the package says that it "Bonds Live Rock, Plants and Corals" ~ Easy to Use ~ Perfect for Freshwater or Marine ~ Safe for All Fish and Invertebrates.

I followed the instructions, but the rocks just kept falling over. In a grayed out area just above the instructions, it says "FOR BONDING TO GLASS OR OTHER SMOOTH SURFACES: DRY ALL BONDING AREAS THOROUGHLY BEFORE APPLYING HOLDFAST.

I don't see 'drying' out my live rocks as an option. They have 'life' on them. That's why they are called "live rock". Am I going to have to place a moist towel over the existing mushrooms while I let the rest of the rock dry out....... thoroughly? If I follow correctly, I take all of the rocks out of the tank, dry the surfaces out completely, arrange them to my liking, glue them together, let that set for 30 minutes like the instructions say, and then very gingerly attempt to move my newly constructed, 27 lb 'rockscape' back into the tank without it falling apart. Yeah right!

Is there a product that can be used on wet rocks?

If you will add superglue to both sides of the epoxy it will work better. I make a ball of epoxy and add the SG to one side, press it onto the LR and add SG to the exposed side of the epoxy. Superglue should have a film over it shortly after it hits the water and will hold just enough to let the epoxy cure. Though drilling the LR and running acrylic rods through it is the best way IMO.

If you will add superglue to both sides of the epoxy it will work better. I make a ball of epoxy and add the SG to one side, press it onto the LR and add SG to the exposed side of the epoxy. Superglue should have a film over it shortly after it hits the water and will hold just enough to let the epoxy cure. Though drilling the LR and running acrylic rods through it is the best way IMO.

The thought of the acrylic rods has crossed my mind. Somehow I picture this being quite a drilling challenge to get the placement right.

There is a warning statement on the back side of the package: Wash hands with soap and water after use. Contains epoxy resins and amine which may irritate sensitive skin. In case of eye contact, flush eyes with water and contact physician. May be harmful if swallowed. Hope that I didn't already cause any serious damage to my coral frags with my failed attempts. Apparently the product is safe once it has dried.

Thank you Frank for your suggestions. I'll have to kick them around a bit.

There is a warning statement on the back side of the package: Wash hands with soap and water after use. Contains epoxy resins and amine which may irritate sensitive skin. In case of eye contact, flush eyes with water and contact physician. May be harmful if swallowed. Hope that I didn't already cause any serious damage to my coral frags with my failed attempts. Apparently the product is safe once it has dried.

That resin and amine will make your skimmer go crazy! did to mine when i tried to epoxy a colony of acro underwater to a big rock i had, been about 3-4 days now and it harden pretty well.

That resin and amine will make your skimmer go crazy! did to mine when i tried to epoxy a colony of acro underwater to a big rock i had, been about 3-4 days now and it harden pretty well.

Exactly what did your skimmer do when it went "crazy"?

Yes the Super Glue gel will work, wet or not.

iball ~ That usually works on small items such as frags. Eventually the corals will grow over the super glue, and create a nice bond. I'm thinking that the seal between the two rocks that have been super glued together, will break the moment any of the rocks get nudged. It's going to take about 20 or more tubes of super glue to do this project. Not sure that I want to waste that kind of money if it won't work. I'd like to see what others have to say regarding your suggestion. But like Frankly said, create a base with the epoxy (on dry land), then super glue at the epoxy points.

Exactly what did your skimmer do when it went "crazy"?

Foamed up like crazy and almost overflow out of the cup until I turned it off, pretty much same effect if you were to medicate your tank without turning the skimmer off.

Archived