Top Shelf Aquatics

Here we go, another Nano Cube - WIP

dagermain

Thanks Ditch, except I'm not trying to post anything new, just what I have done, thus the forum "Members' Nano Reefs". The pics are new to me, since I just took them. I doubt that I'm going to produce anything no one has done before, but I'm not trying to.

I would put it in a discussion category if I was looking to prove something or show something new. But your negativity is, I'm sure, appreciated by all.

PS...if everyone will please note, I removed the bioballs.

DitchPlains

Hey I wasn't being negative...I'll save that for a chat on Baukunin. I was saying the pics are a bit old, the skimmer shot and the egg crates were posted here before, either by you or someone else. I'm saying there's no need for a new thread if its the same old pics. I'm not knocking your work, just the reposting of old pics for space purposes. I wonder how do the egg crates hold up, do you think a drip method is actually creating more saturation over the Purigen? Using Purigen myself I don't see how considering the mateiral absorbs, "Soluble and insoluble wastes, controls amonia, nitries, and nitrates," wouldn't it behoove the material to be immersed in water its attemtping to purify? How does your drip plate work, at what kind of flow does it drip, trickle or beaded drops like a Britta Filter? I like your ideas on this post, again just the pics, I've seen that skimmer shot half a dozen times.:nerd:

Eggcrate should be fine, it is acrylic. I did the drip plate to evenly distribute the water as it flows over the teeth and hugs the wall. You are right, Purigen works below the water, but I dont think it would work any differently with water flowing through it. My thought was having it submerged does not force water through at that end of the "sump" because the pump is at the other end. By using a drip plate and forcing water through the media to get into the sump should force a higher volume of water to cross the media than just submerging it would. Just a theory.

pps the pics are linked to my gallery, so no extra space is consumed.

Live rock and sand in now. Having temperature control issues that I'm working on, I'm hoping to get it settled down soon before all the "live" is dead.

7661DSC02517.jpg

fastredponycar

looking good so far. if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for all your stuff (stand included but not rocks or sand).

My dad is planning to start moving in stuff to one of our unused upstairs bedrooms and he want's an entertainment room with home theater, pool table etc and I threw in the idea of a reef tank since he said how much he liked my 30g in my house.

I told him it wasn't going to be cheap to get it all done and I haven't priced anything for the nano cube setup and i was wanting to get some sort of estimate on what HE'LL be spending :D

Tank was 100+10shipping

Stand was 80+10shipping I think

Rock was $3.50/lb+$3/lb on sand (15 and 20llbs respectively)although 15 on this type of LR was way too much, this is only about 10 pictured

Probably about 100 in other equipment and media.

fastredponycar

so roughly $300 give or take a few bucks? LR at my LFS is $7.50/lb :( It's fully cured though and looks pretty decent.

fastredponycar

yeah that's the best part. when i was aquascaping my 29g, I had very specific shapes and sizes that I needed and being able to select them one by one and actually sort of piece them together in the store how I was wanting them made it worth the extra $$.

• 2 weeks later...
SilverSpurs

I really like the direction your JBJ12 is going... sure wish mine had turned out as well. I had mine set up for 4 months and then I moved to my new house...... I had the utilities set up ahead of time for turn on at my new place.... but you know our wonderful electric company.. they always mess things up.

I got up the morning I was to move and started to break down the tank - got everyone situated in a bucket and brought the tank to my new place.... to find that they DIDN'T turn on the electricity!!! ACK... so needless to say, my tank inhabitants and rock spent the next 4 days in a rubbermaid tub. I didn't have any lights to use except a table lamp....

My tank is still recovering... I lost a lot of my beneficial bacteria and most of my snails starved to death in the following month. I look to your tank with hope, that mine will some day make a full recovery.

Archived