ReefCleaners.org

The before pics.....

sammy33

This is a couple of shots of my girlfriends 15gal high as is. It is currently a freshwater tank with some tetras, gouramis and barbs. I have talked her into converting it ot a nano reef! Victory! :love:

I will post some more pics as I get the set up going.

hehehe.

I recently convinced a friend to start a FW aquarium. Let him be for a few months...then I will try to get him to convert that to a Reef Tank. hahaha :D

got reef?

This is the first "after" pic. I just set it up this afternoon and am waiting for the temperature to stabilize. I am going to add the rocks tomorrow after work.

So far:

15 gal. high

Eclipse II hood (modified, no media)

1- 15 watt Coralife Actinic 03

1- 15 watt Coralife 50/50

ZooMed Power Sweep 212 Power head

50watt Askoll Heater

35 lbs Live sand (Carib Sea)

Coralife Salt

I am learning that patience is a virtue!!!

NaNO ReeFiN
Originally posted by NaNO ReeFiN

Thats a very nice looking FW tank sammy. You sure you wouldn't want to set up a new tank altogether...?

I guess not... what happened to the fish in your FW tank?

The original fish are warm, well fed and happy in my 10 gallon tanks. They are a little upset by the move and the decrease in space but understand the change. :)

I am at about two watts per gallon now with the two N/O bulbs. Just gonna use these for about 4 hours a day while cycling the tank. In about a month or so I am planning on upgrading to a 2 x 36 Bright kit and black enclosure from AH supply which will give me about 4.8 watts a gallon. This is not a bad deal for around 93 bucks.

I did add about 8lbs of live rock yesterday to get the cycling started and a blue background for looks. Here is a new pic.

:)

Originally posted by Bocephous

You'll probably want 2x36w PC's. If you dont want them  now you're going to in two months.

Did you just not read his post from beofore? lol

i have the same model of tank and am also looking at converting how'd you do the lights was it hade any other advice would be helpful

Thanks

Nicely done! Looks superb. Once you add the intended lights, some corals, and a little time, it will look awesome!

Did you paint the rear blue or is it a blue backgroound? Looks veru nice either way. Well done. :)

I am just using the stock Eclipse hood now while cyclcing. The only thing I did was pull all the media out, scrubbed the heck out of it to remove all the "gunk" and replaced the bulbs. This hood is the two bulb version so I added these:

1- 15 watt Coralife Actinic 03

1- 15 watt Coralife 50/50

With the lights I am basically only turning them on for about an hour or two a day right now. This is just my daily "staring in the tank to see if anything is moving" session. All sorts of tiny creatures are showing up. :blush:

I am going to add some more robust lights in about 2 weeks. I have chosen to use a 2 x 36 Bright kit and black enclosure from AH supply which will give me about 4.8 watts a gallon. This is not a bad deal for around 93 bucks.

This set requires some assembly but it doesn't look to be too hard. I am thinking of using the other lights off the Eclipse hood in addition to the 2 x 36. Not quite sure how they will fit but gonna try and use them for actinic light only (moonlight).

I am still just begining and am learning new stuff everyday. Just remember:

"It's not the arrival, but the journey that matters most...."

The background is just a Hagen reversible Black/Blue. It has a good color for a reef background. I just taped it to the back glass, sealing it fairly well, with clear tape.

Here is another pic after one week. I added another 8 lbs of live rock and a tonga branch (acropora, I think?).

Archived