ReefCleaners.org

GSP Polyp Extension

Anjaba

What effects how long the polyps are on a GSP (the tentacle/petal area)? I look at some pictures and they are only like small stars, but then others are very long. The ones that I bought today are only about 1 cm in length each, and the ends are green. Will they ever become more green, or longer? I also read somehwhere that stronger flow promotes longer polyp extension, can anyone vouch for that?

*edit*

heres a link to birdmans site, it's a picture of a gsp with long "petals" Click Me

I think it depends on the coral. When I bought mine they were long and the stay long. The are called long tentaceled. As for the color, the lights play an important role. Mine under actinics are more green and flourescent then under the daylight.

I just got a new frag of GSP and the polyps are just smooth tentacles. My old GSP frag had extensions that were feather like, sort of like pom pom xenia. I guess that was a different type of GSP?

GSP is either pachyclavularia or briareum, either genus has numerous species and the polyps can vary greatly in appearance, some are smooth with no pinnules, some have very distinct pinnules. as a general rule however the longer the polyps the less flow the coral should have.

Archived