Coral Vue Hydros

Please I.D. this coral...

jojomichael

It's either a goniopora or aleviopora (sp?). You can tell by counting hte "tentacles" on the polyps... 12 =alev 24 = gonio. They have a hard, dome shaped base and have long polyps which extend during the day. They should be given room; the polyps like to drag around on the sand and they have a powerful sting that can harm other corals. They are difficult to keep and typically don't last longer than 6-12 months in a home aquarium.

Research has indicated that they like low levels of nitrate in the water and eat phytoplankton and possibly pods. Mine seems to like low to moderate flow - the polyps extend more if they arent whipping around in current. I've had one for 9 months now and it appears to be doing well , but I may just be lucky so for. I dose the tank with phytoplex and Selcon several times a week and my nitrates are around 20ppm.

• 2 weeks later...

no it isn't Gonipora or Alevopora.I the name is drawing a blank.. But I know what it is.. It's related to cup corals.. Same polyps but they encrust instead of cup. Very nice pieces. They have been showing up at a lot of LFS stores (in sd at least)

Archived