ReefCleaners.org

Easily controllable water parameters

JamieSheffield

JamieSheffield

I feel that my tank is running along somewhat smoothly and stably, and was now thinking about ways to mess with it... ;)

My ammonia/nitrites/nitrates/ph/hardness have been consistently within accepted norms for weeks, even with the addition of plants and animals and feedings and light schedules...

It occurs to me that two things I can easily alter in my water are the salinity and the temp, both of which could have big effects on nutrient availability and uptake, along with beastie growth...

My salinity is generally at 1.025 and my temp is 78.

Where do you guys keep your salinity and tank temps, why, and what benefits do you see for those parameters over others?

Thanks,

Jamie

1.025 and 78F

those are generally the most accepted params for optimum health/growth/etc. people will always have personal antidotes regarding other schemes though.

also fyi you put this is aquaculture--the farming of corals and fish. general probably would have been better

JamieSheffield

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry for the placement error...if a mod could move it that would be great, if not...no big...

Jamie

Here's the chart I used, derived from reef chemistry research. It is based on what is naturely found in nature, and from experiences in aquaculture. I use it for my reef club to help simplify what we need to monitor. Note they are ranges, but varying outside those ranges will lead to grief in your reef tank.

Fish in lfs are often kept at lower salinities, to help alleviate pest problems, but that is also why we often have losses between the lfs and establishment in our tanks.

Waterprametersforreeftanks.jpg

(after Fairley, RC)

Thanks for the link mmcguffi. It's the primary piece of information I use on reef chemistry. I've found that folks new to the hobby often get overwhelmed by that much esoteric information so I'm sure that's why the chart is provided. It's posted in the front of my logbook for quick reference!

While I love to experiment, chemistry is where I try and maintain constancy.

Archived