inTank Media Baskets

Which salt?

sammy33

if it's a reef i'd go with reef crystals. io lacks calcium. tropic marin is also a favorite among some.

i'm a pleb, i use coralife. buy the 150g tub and get a free t-shirt! :P (i think they have new shirt designs!)

sorry, a 'plebian', a 'commoner', one of the unwashed masses. we're too damn poor to afford reef crystals and tropic marin. (we blew our money on lights and kids) :*(

Depending on your perspective, WATER is the single most important part of a reef / fish tank. I ONLY use the best now, and it shows results. There are very few salts I havent tried, and most of them are wayyy out of my league price wise (endocrological and lab grade salts)

Tropic Marin, Red sea, and www.aquacraft.net salts are decent. I recently had to use a box of Crystal sea ina pinch.. WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS its a long story, but it fouled up the tank something fierce and stressed the corals... Anyhoooo, If you can spend a ton of $ on the setup and animals, then do it right and get a good salt (and an RODI filter).... your tank will thank U.;)

• 2 weeks later...
Royal Gramma

Dave, I am assuming that it was not the salt, but the fact that you had several kinds of salts in that tank, probably not a good idea.X)

Sammy, I use instant ocean. I was told that salt would riase the pH of my already 8.0 water. I.O. didn't. My water remains at 8.0. Plus, it seems to be the easiest to vac up. ;) I like it because there are clear instructions on how much to put in, although I would use about 3/4 the reccomended salt, as it is a bit more concentrated then the manufacturers seem to think.....

Well, just a newbies 2 cents,

Carrie

i use IO when i have the extra $$$ i grab reef cryatals. ive tested the mix up water and have had no problems with the ph going to where it should be

Archived