Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sick Torch?

SaltyDog

I have a question for you all. I have a pink torch that was been in my tank for about a month now, and just today I noticed all of the tenicles on one of the branches are gone.

I can see the bare skeleton, and there is a whiteish-pink type spider web over the hole where the tenicles came out. the teniciles are there, under the "skin" but fully retracted.

Is it dying? :( :( Please, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

One more thing. - There aren't any other corals in the tank to sting it or anything. My PH is 8.2, alk is 3.0, and temp is at 81.1 Thanks.

torches, very tough. pink one too! it might just be feeding on something although that's unusual for it to be curled up that deep. the webbing might just be mucus.

had they been 'curled' up for the last couple of days? what kind of lights do you have? calcium levels? any liquid/planktonic feedings? refugium? how old is the tank?

i think someone was fragging torches before on this board. they will probably have better insight. (bump) if you're fragging a torch (almost unheard of) you've gotta be doing something right! ;)

Its dead.

Lift it to the surface of your tank, smell it... you will know what to do from there

:x = chuck it

OR

:) = its ok, but keep an eye on it.

Well, first off, thanks to all that have responded. I appreciate the help, and I was freaking out a bit when I posted the first message. :D

I pulled the Torch out of the water as suggested, and was going to give it the old sniff test. Well, didn't even need to get my nose close to it. It smelled like a sewer line from 4 feet away. Wow! It packed a punch. :x

Decideing I had nothing to lose, I decided to frag the poor little coral. Knowing that each is their own organism, let's give it a shot.

Knock on wood, it has been 5 days, and it is looking great still. I get nervous every once in a while when the heads are retracted, but they come out later.

Thanks again for all the help. So far, so good. B)

Archived