Top Shelf Aquatics

wattage overkill?

greentreepython

greentreepython

Last lighting question I'm about 2 days away from buying a sysstem I chose to take the advice of a fellow nanner, and buy each component. Sunlight ballast, pendant, and bulb. My question to yall is, Should I go with the 150 hqi, or the 250 hqi, for a 20 gallon (not long). The prices are very close, and I dont want to be lacking on lights that are going to cost me over 300. So please let me know how you feel, I ve got nothing but great advice and I do appreciate that. I want to do this right, Oh also a 20k bulb seems to much blue, and I dont want retrofit fl so should a 14k get the job done, or does a 10k also get the jo done?

Morelia viridis:

Go 250. No over kill. Just hang the pendant and blow a fan to alleviate heat issues. IF you don't like the 20k the 14k by it self will still run pretty white on the HQI ballast, but still give you a godd bit of blue.

If you go Sunlight supply you will get the best quality possible and the ROIII pendant will be pulg and play. This set up will give you more light than a 400w and you could always upgrade the light to a bigger tank.

greentreepython

Morelia viridis, I'm impressed, thanks for the advice, 20 watts per gallon seems like a lot compared to the forming days of this hobby when all the experts claimed 7 to 8 watts was all you needed. Thank you for the reply, sell snakes to pay for this hobby, its money well spent. So 250 watts it is

I agree with Jahkaya.

150MH is plenty for 20G, but 250 is even better.

Reefoptix III pendant is very nice choice. It's quality product.

If you use it with non-sunlight brand ballast, it is not plug and play. You have to wire it by yourself or need connecter plug. It is about $5, you can order it with pendant.

I would recommend you using RO III pendant with icecap electronic ballast + connector plug. That'll be one of the best option you can get. Hope this helps.

Archived